What are you using for an electric fan?

Timmayy

Reaction score
Been awhile since I was here last. Working on my A and B bodies lately. Wife drives her 67 Fury wagon everywhere.

Anyway, Her wagon is a stock 318 2 barrel. Radiator has been fixed and tested by a reputable rad shop. Flows great. I've added a better fan and a factory style shroud. I had to add an aftermarket temp gauge. I didn't trust the old factory one. It was running on the high side all the time with no hint of overheating. The new gauge is a lot better. Anyway, when it comes to hot humid New England summer days the temp will rise when sitting in traffic. I am looking for a lower amp electric fan to mount in front of the rad for some extra protection. It looks like a 16" would be a good fit. What are you all using?

Been awhile since I was here last. Working on my A and B bodies lately. Wife drives her 67 Fury wagon everywhere.

Anyway, Her wagon is a stock 318 2 barrel. Radiator has been fixed and tested by a reputable rad shop. Flows great. I've added a better fan and a factory style shroud. I had to add an aftermarket temp gauge. I didn't trust the old factory one. It was running on the high side all the time with no hint of overheating. The new gauge is a lot better. Anyway, when it comes to hot humid New England summer days the temp will rise when sitting in traffic. I am looking for a lower amp electric fan to mount in front of the rad for some extra protection. It looks like a 16" would be a good fit. What are you all using?
Your basic idea makes sense, but keep in mind that adding an electric pusher fan will help stop/go air flow, but hurt highway air flow. In other words, you might stop overheating in traffic and start overheating on the highway. Here's my 2-cents.
1. Make SURE what temperature you're actually running. Calibrate your temperature gauge in boiling water (212F) and use a decent infrared (IR) temperature gun and point it at the thermostat housing. Factory and electric aftermarket gauges are often inaccurate.
2. What do you mean by "better fan"? I would suggest a '73+ (?) Chrysler 7-blade clutch fan.
3. Make sure your fan is partially in the shroud (there's some rule of thumb...can't remember...2/3 of fan inside shroud and 1/3 behind it or something like that)
4. Make sure the shroud is sealed to the radiator/core support so that any air the mechanical fan is pulling is forced to come through the radiator (and not take a short cut through some shroud/radiator gap)
5. Make sure you're coolant is 50/50 and less than 5 yrs old
6. Remove any dirt/leaves/grease/etc from radiator fins & make sure the fins aren't too bent up
7. After all that, if it runs cool enough on the highway a pusher fan is a reasonable idea. I've tried pusher + mechanical, two pushers, two pullers, one big puller, two pushers and a big puller.....everything ran hot either at idle or on the highway for me. The factory clutch fan, factory shroud and larger aluminum radiator did it for me. You might try some radiator flush to remove any rust inside the block. For a pusher fan, look for something that is thin (for clearance) and has a high cfm (flow) rating.

What about the "yoke seal" on the bottom of the hood, which seals the bottom of the hood to the core support? Is it there? What about the radiator cap?

Before you spend money on a fan and its needed mechanisms, pop out the freeze plugs and wash the accumulation out of the block's passages. ANY older car can benefit from that, I suspect.

I concur with the clutch fan and fan clutch upgrade. Best of both worlds.

Seems like the center mark on the gauge is about 200 degrees F, with the red zone starting at about 260 degrees F? Remember that a pressurized 15lb cooling system means the boiling point is raised to about 260 degrees F at sea level, so anything under that should not cause any issues. I know, it looks "like trouble", but really shouldn't be "trouble".

I've seen several "overheating" threads in the past month. Gauges reading about 220 degrees F, which might be a little bit warmer than normal, but not near "overheating" levels.

Just for general principles, you might try and locate a "Robert Shaw"-type thermostat in the 180 degree F variation. Seems like Edelbrock of Holley now sells them? Mr. Gasket brand? Not inexpensive, but what Chrysler used back then, generally.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The cheap $30 eBay no shroud 3,000 cfm 160 watt 16-inch push fan kits have all significantly improved "sitting still" a/c performance (that's the reason for my using them) and also reduced car in motion engine temperature in 90-degree heat in stop and go hwy driving on several different old cars for me.
The first one worked well, so that's what I kept getting.
I don't know how much better an expensive high current high flow fan would work. And I don't know if the cheap ones will work as a standalone fan. I'm going to try that on my 64 413.
They haven't reduced 70 mph cooling. I turn them off after 40 mph, or they don't free wheel and can reduce cooling.

I now use this: FFD16-3600CFM

BUT: for the first 3 yrs I used an intermittent duty pusher fan, I did alright with a cheap A-Team 16 inch fan, but that particular PLA front folded. You can get a disposable one which should serve you well like this: 16" Universal Electric Radiator Slim Push Pull Cooling Fan 12V 160W Mount Kit | eBay

I think for low current draw, one of these 120W motors should do nicely for you.

I now use this: FFD16-3600CFM

BUT: for the first 3 yrs I used an intermittent duty pusher fan, I did alright with a cheap A-Team 16 inch fan, but that particular PLA front folded. You can get a disposable one which should serve you well like this: 16" Universal Electric Radiator Slim Push Pull Cooling Fan 12V 160W Mount Kit | eBay

I think for low current draw, one of these 120W motors should do nicely for you.
Low current draw was the attraction for me with the $30 fan kit. They work ok.
Now I'm thinking a better fan would be worth the money.
I'm stuck in the 70s but am liking the idea of eliminating the whole belt driven setup for an electric.

Low current draw was the attraction for me with the $30 fan kit. They work ok.
Now I'm thinking a better fan would be worth the money.
I'm stuck in the 70s but am liking the idea of eliminating the whole belt driven setup for an electric.

Get the FFD 3600 then. It has a beefy motor and can push or better, pull enough air for a total electric cooling system. I drop my mech fan usually with the Fall Equinox. Electric fans cool engines more efficiently than mech fans, given how a mech fan draws torque off the crank pulley. I use only the FFD until late May, bolting on the 7 blade, 18 inch Mopar Salad Chopper for the summer, when the extra fan is needed. I might investigate using an electric fan shroud with the FFD in a puller configuration next Spring. It does fine during the cooler months as a pusher by itself.

Get the FFD 3600 then. It has a beefy motor and can push or better, pull enough air for a total electric cooling system. I drop my mech fan usually with the Fall Equinox. Electric fans cool engines more efficiently than mech fans, given how a mech fan draws torque off the crank pulley. I use only the FFD until late May, bolting on the 7 blade, 18 inch Mopar Salad Chopper for the summer, when the extra fan is needed. I might investigate using an electric fan shroud with the FFD in a puller configuration next Spring. It does fine during the cooler months as a pusher by itself.
A friend of mine runs his 454 Chevell all electric.
But I don't know if he has run it all summer or not. Could be he has not and just isn't saying till he gets it all sorted out.

A friend of mine runs his 454 Chevell all electric.
But I don't know if he has run it all summer or not. Could be he has not and just isn't saying till he gets it all sorted out.

Oh it CAN BE DONE AND DONE VERY WELL! If going All Electric Cooling, here's the way I would do it:

1. Obtain two high capacity electric fans with a shroud meant for the radiator in use. Place them diagonally, with the one to be used as the main fan higher up. Use 2 separate thermostatic switches, set for 195F and 210F. Each switch actuates a Bosch relay capable of handling double the maximum current rating of the fan. Relays will be protected by circuit breakers rated as per fan manufacturers specifications. Each relay also controlled by a toggle switch in case you see need for manual override.

2. Electric coolant pump will be hardwired to ignition primary circuit, actuating relay upon engine start. Also, a PARALLEL thermostatic switch will engage the coolant pump if coolant temperature exceeds 210F. This switchleg may be turned OFF by manual override located UNDER THE HOOD. This "hot coolant" switch will draw directly from the battery to actuate the relay solenoid. This will be the ONLY relay circuit with a POSITIVE power interrupt; to wit, the toggle turns the power from the battery OFF. The fan thermostat switches will switch the grounds, as will the manual toggles in the driver space. This cooling safety feature permits engine cooling while parked. The high temperature radiator fan might also be actuated in the same fashion as the coolant pump, should need be seen for such.

3. Alternator capacity no less than 130A would be installed, with a suitable deep charge capacity battery. A battery pair, with one marine rated for the pump load and duration, suitable isolation to prevent mutual discharge all will be installed to insure the engine's starting ability.

4. Thought for electrical driving other accessories such as the oil pump, power steering and brake booster can then be soberly done. The less one loads the rotating assembly for engine accessories, the more power makes it to the rolling rubber!

After all that, if it runs cool enough on the highway a pusher fan is a reasonable idea. I've tried pusher + mechanical, two pushers, two pullers, one big puller, two pushers and a big puller.....everything ran hot either at idle or on the highway for me. The factory clutch fan, factory shroud and larger aluminum radiator did it for me
I remember reading somewhere that pull fans are about 20% more efficient than push fans, what the exact numbers are only the engineers who deal with this sort of thing will truly know, but the physics makes sense given that gases will always move from high pressure to low pressure. Which is also where a fan shroud comes in, it helps the fan to maintain that low pressure zone to let fresh air through.

It's a bit interesting to note that in the world of PC cooling, it seems that push fans have marginally better performance than pull fans. Why I don't know. Maybe things change with scaling etc. Plus a computer isn't barrelling down the highway at 85 mph.

It would appear that the bigger the fan the better the fan.
I'm thinking the electric fan could be oblivious to engine rpm at idle, if the battery and charging are up to the job.

Last edited:
It would appear that the bigger the fan the better the fan.
I'm thinking the electric fan could be oblivious to engine rpm at idle, if the battery and charging are up to the job.

Yes, so long as the charging system does its job, an electric fan cools efficiently at a fairly constant speed. I like having an intermittent pusher for hot days in urban traffic, when idling at 600 rpm at traffic signals for more time than moving permits coolant temperature to creep up. Having an electric coolant pump further eliminates engine angular speed (RPM) as a cooling variable. At present, I use a solid state replacement for the old breaker point voltage regulator, but if I were to scale up further current demand with an electric coolant pump, I'd definitely install a better voltage regulator with the larger alternator. My 95 A PowerMaster does nicely with the fan I run, for now....

What about the "yoke seal" on the bottom of the hood, which seals the bottom of the hood to the core support? Is it there? What about the radiator cap?

Before you spend money on a fan and its needed mechanisms, pop out the freeze plugs and wash the accumulation out of the block's passages. ANY older car can benefit from that, I suspect.

CBODY67
Agreed.
Address the source of the heat first before going all Rube Goldberg on it.

They didn't run hotter than normal or overheat when new so they should not now.
If you check the temp at the thermostat housing I've found you get a false reading with the car running because of the heated air coming across the radiator.

YES! DO ALWAYS check Romper Room Engine Cooling fundamentals like these!! If the yoke to hood "gasket"

Sho' Nuff! I've given a couple thorough block enemas to my 383s. The one I'm running now was only modestly scaled in, while the boat anchor candidate had SEVERE insoluble deposits in the water jacket. I recommend drain snakes, pneumatic chisels, pressure washers and strong vaacuum cleaners all to achieve a CLEAN water jacket. then replace the expansion plugs with good brass, or, if working in situ on those plugs behind the motor mount brackets, expandable copper plugs. The rubber plugs will do for several years in a pinch, so long as one remembers they're present.

I concur with the clutch fan and fan clutch upgrade. Best of both worlds.

First thing I did to Mathilda's setup, though the original 6 blade 18 inch direct drive fan pulled plenty air that first hot summer, and worked admirably at the cost of the torque required to spin it. There was NO SHROUD on that original factory setup, and from what I saw in period nomenclature, this was common with that fan. I replaced this with a 20 inch 7 blade clutch fan, sans shroud, that did as well but no better.

Seems like the center mark on the gauge is about 200 degrees F, with the red zone starting at about 260 degrees F? Remember that a pressurized 15lb cooling system means the boiling point is raised to about 260 degrees F at sea level, so anything under that should not cause any issues. I know, it looks "like trouble", but really shouldn't be "trouble".

Right on! This is why I set my cooling fan mark at 200. One can run all day at this temperature. Its warm enough to boil volatile alkanes out of the lubricant, but not so hot as to dangerously thin the stuff. Watching oil pressure, I find mine get's under 10 psi at idle over 215F, so I like to keep the engine coolant temperature between 200-210, though on a hot highway, 220 does fine. In fact, i like to run her up on a good I-19 run here to boil more crap out of the crankcase. I run a 33% ethylene glycol summer mixture for coolant with a "wetter" which does very nicely for the 383 and my 225.

I've seen several "overheating" threads in the past month. Gauges reading about 220 degrees F, which might be a little bit warmer than normal, but not near "overheating" levels.

Just for general principles, you might try and locate a "Robert Shaw"-type thermostat in the 180 degree F variation.

I warn you ALL here: Holley/Mr. Gasket is a sino-copy of the Real Deal. I tried 2 of these. They work through one season. The original RobertShaw lasts through multiple seasons, with fluid changes done twice yearly. FlowKooler sells them, and I guess they own the patent now. I prefer the Old Stuff, and horded a lifetime supply. Knowing how finite such stocks are, I'd recommend first FlowKooler, and then Mr. Gasket as a distant second. I see other copies, but haven't experimented with them.

Seems like Edelbrock of Holley now sells them? Mr. Gasket brand? Not inexpensive, but what Chrysler used back then, generally.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I pointed out to a certain person that this was indeed the production line standard from Chrysler, showing the FSM, but some fools insist on a Flat Earth. I also have tried a couple brass poppet thermostats with decent result. As a rule, those which open nice and wide at the designated temperature, permitting maximum flow serve us best.

Back