What car do I take?

I have read a number of threads here where people pick up a car then drive it home cross country. I mean, you buy a 40 yr old car and drive it 2,000 miles home?

So here is my issue. I am taking a winter car from Buffalo to Jacksonville in a couple weeks. 1600 miles? I can use a car down there off and on for work and it is a good way to get our golf clubs down there for the winter. I was going to drive my daughters hellcat down there for the winter 'cause you can't use it here, but then I bought this 78 NYB a couple weeks ago.

The NYB is like new. It would clearly be fun ride, but what inspires someone to embark on 1800 miles with an old car that you just bought? So many things could go wrong!

If yer a little afraid of a 1600-mile trip, why not drive the NYB to Lorton, VA and take the Auto Train from there? I recently did this trip with my '66 300, and it is a terrific way to get a car to Florida. Check it out here: Amtrak - Reservations - Auto Train - Fare Finder

If yer a little afraid of a 1600-mile trip, why not drive the NYB to Lorton, VA and take the Auto Train from there? I recently did this trip with my '66 300, and it is a terrific way to get a car to Florida. Check it out here: Amtrak - Reservations - Auto Train - Fare Finder
I know someone who uses that. they leave out of Philly. They have met some very interesting people on that train. the drive doesn't bother me, I got faith in the car (thanks to reminders here like AAA/Hagerty Plus for me) and RainX!

In thinking it through, I need reliable 24hr transport when I'm there. I'm not wanting to rely on the 78 NYB to sit for a week then spirit me back to the airport with only an hour leeway....

I know someone who uses that. they leave out of Philly. They have met some very interesting people on that train. the drive doesn't bother me, I got faith in the car (thanks to reminders here like AAA/Hagerty Plus for me) and RainX!

In thinking it through, I need reliable 24hr transport when I'm there. I'm not wanting to rely on the 78 NYB to sit for a week then spirit me back to the airport with only an hour leeway....

I think you should find and buy a beater in Florida. . .

well i do a pre-test , short hard miles to bring issues to the surface for repairs , keep your eye on leaks and an ear noises .

Back