When was the last production day for C-Bodies?

Actually, I think Chrysler wanted the end of "C" body production to slip as quietly under the waves as possible.
I agree.
They were at least making enough $$ off of the Newports and NYBs to make it profitable to run the line.
Probably not, which I think is the exact reason why the introduction of the new R-Bodies was push-forced. Gas prices were rising again and demand for the big boats was dwindling down. On November 2, 1978 Lee Iacocca started restructuring Chrysler Corp. Not that he was initially involved with the new R-Bodies, but I think C-Bodies had been selling slow after spring of 1978.

I've yet to see a C-Body that was made in June or July 1978...

What will really determine the "last" car is the MDH number on the label on the end of the driver's door. THAT's the date of production !
Good having you aboard Kevin to keep us on the straight and narrow. Just wondering if there's a similar method to establish the actual build dates on earlier models like 1970 models?

Wow. I'm interested in your comment about Lynch Rd.
All plants were horrible in that era. Serious labor management problems were at its peak. But why Lynch Rd.in particular.

Posted via Topify on Android

Every plant in the Detroit area had a problem with drugs, but Lynch Road made the others look like Boy Scouts.

I think he knows that. He put lol at the end. He also says it "must have sat on the yard a long time" So in order for it to have sat anywhere it must have already been built

When I was in Albuquerque for the WPC National Meet in 1980, I stopped around at a local CP dealer. He had NEW 1975 (!!!) cars sitting around.

Good having you aboard Kevin to keep us on the straight and narrow. Just wondering if there's a similar method to establish the actual build dates on earlier models like 1970 models?

Hi Fred. My memory is hazy on this but didn't the early 1970s cars have a more simplified label on the end of the driver's door that was just MM-YY ? If this simplified label is on the end of the driver's door, and you know the body frame date from the fender tag, you can do some decent conjecturing from that.

The shipping invoice would have the build date, but between the microfilm from the engine plant in Windsor disappearing and Historical claiming they can't look up a car past 1967 (which I just don't buy) I'm not sure how else you'd look it up.

Are you coming to New Hamburg?

Some puzzling Detail with my 1970 Chrysler 300 H is the door sticker saying 6 30 while the window sticker was (supposedly) marked from the dealership with sort of a Punch clock at May 8th 12.31 pm. VIN compared to a couple other cars from Jefferson Asy. and some date codes seem to be falling into late April 1970 as well.

I think that would be unique, because from what I know about 1970 door VIN stickers, they state the month and calendar year of the actual assembly, like kmccabe56 described above. So 6-30 sounds more like an SPD on the fender tag, which was only the scheduled production date. Then again, on 300 Hursts the sticker would probably only tell when the body was assembled before being shipped off to be fitted with the Hurst parts.

all 300 Hurst do share the same SPD on the fneder tag which isn't accurate. They all have a january date

May 4th, 1978 at 2PM

Your car was made on a Thursday.

That 14 is the 14th hour of production that day. So this car was made towards the end of the second shift, so probably 9-10 at night.

Some puzzling Detail with my 1970 Chrysler 300 H is the door sticker saying 6 30 while the window sticker was (supposedly) marked from the dealership with sort of a Punch clock at May 8th 12.31 pm. VIN compared to a couple other cars from Jefferson Asy. and some date codes seem to be falling into late April 1970 as well.

I'd need to see it before I could begin to say something worthwhile......

I think that would be unique, because from what I know about 1970 door VIN stickers, they state the month and calendar year of the actual assembly, like kmccabe56 described above. So 6-30 sounds more like an SPD on the fender tag, which was only the scheduled production date. Then again, on 300 Hursts the sticker would probably only tell when the body was assembled before being shipped off to be fitted with the Hurst parts.

Then factor in the likelihood that Hurst didn't operate on a first in first out basis. They "might" have, but from the few pictures I've seen of their operation, the cars were all just herded together like cattle, and they'd grab the nearest one when they were ready for the next one to work on.

Iam sure jimmy would appreciate us thinking about him........... LOL

PsychoJimmy has it.

2aaitug.jpg

PsychoJimmy could care less about us thinking of him.
He's a businessman. We're hobbyists.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
So far Patrick has the last known Formal. Has my Newport beat by a week.

Back