Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

1, City and State. If you think you know it by sight, be careful. Still, should be very easy.
Is that a landmark towards the left side, that is in your avatar?

1725979001117.png

@SPF Required put up a clearer pic. this also looks east at the city.

reason I picked this city is because it had a "twist" that initially roped me in.:poke:.

Go southwesterly 600 miles, young man. Follow your instincts on this one if you wanna keep trying to get to the city. Then the fun starts.

Thanks man.

#572. Dallas, Texas.

1726054868952.png

Famous NFL team (I used to pretend to be, as a kid, "Dandy" Don Meredith chucking the rock to "Bullet" Bob Hayes), and location of that dark day (Kennedy assassination) in November 1963 in Dealey Plaza

Nissan was about five miles west of the City.

First, the "arch' to the left , or north, in the photo is the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge on I-30. Second, go to the right, of south along the skyline and you to Reunion Tower near downtown. Those landmarks kinda bookend the skyline in the photo,

Hill bridge, finished 2012, looking south easterly toward downtown Dallas, Reunion Tower in the distance
1726053229533.png

Reunion Tower.
1726053365126.png

The city skyline is in the background, and it appears the Nissan was parked just off north side of I-30 at Hamption Rd, near/at an interchange that overlooks the Dallas Police impound lot in the right lower foreground.

Google Maps, 2018
IMG_20240816_065858.png

Photo from @SPF Required that looks to be near same spot as above, that I labled with skylilne landmarks.
FLW 9L.png

My estimation of where the car was, noting the area appears a bit different now. I also may not be in the exact spot still .. but the elevation and sight lines look "close enough" to me.

Red circle looks like the Nissan parking area, and green arrows are the approximate"sight linesL. Overlooks the impound lot, showing the cars and its buldings

FLW 9LX.png

FLW 9LXY.png

Two repeat solvers, with multiple "wins" over the years. Of course, they can post their solutions to extent different/better than mine. :)

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
Not knowing the different skyline my initial thought was St Louis, two seconds there I knew that wasn't it. Google said Dallas, Google earth didn't render that bridge initially from where I landed near the tower. When I went to adjust the line of sight I saw a bridge but not that one, a little more and I saw it. Then it was hover back till I saw the large buildings, initially I was thinking fairgrounds so I scrolled right over it. Quickly realized it must be something else when I was loosing the line of sight. I knew once I had the building I had the location.

On to Street View, alignments look good but too low.
Dallas1.jpg

Dallas2.jpg

Looking at it the other way I saw tire tracks.
Dallas3.jpg

Doubt that car drove up here.
Dallas4.jpg

Looked for a gap in the cable/post that maybe the highway department used, none.
Dallas5.jpg

As late as 2019 you could still drive out there.
Dallas6.jpg

Dallas7.jpg

The tower on the bridge first appeared about 2011 putting the picture 2011-1019
Dallas8.jpg

Alan

Not knowing the different skyline my initial thought was St Louis, two seconds there I knew that wasn't it. Google said Dallas, Google earth didn't render that bridge initially from where I landed near the tower. When I went to adjust the line of sight I saw a bridge but not that one, a little more and I saw it. Then it was hover back till I saw the large buildings, initially I was thinking fairgrounds so I scrolled right over it. Quickly realized it must be something else when I was loosing the line of sight. I knew once I had the building I had the location.

On to Street View, alignments look good but too low.
View attachment 681396
View attachment 681397

Looking at it the other way I saw tire tracks.
View attachment 681398

Doubt that car drove up here.
View attachment 681399

Looked for a gap in the cable/post that maybe the highway department used, none.
View attachment 681400

As late as 2019 you could still drive out there.
View attachment 681401

View attachment 681402

The tower on the bridge first appeared about 2011 putting the picture 2011-1019
View attachment 681403

Alan

The arch caught my eye first, but the appearance of Reunion Tower in same pic ruled out St. L (plus it looked too small - the Hill bridge arch is only like 400 ft. tall while St. L (my avatar) gets close to 700 ft. tall).

i warned about the built-in misdirection play in the pic. little twist to make it s bit mor challenging.

anyway, cant argue with a thing, chief. your solution research/logic much better than mine.

Nissan was definitely out there in the grass (your last pic) inside the interchange loop where they probably shouldn't have been.

Without your first impressions via PM, i still would be in Trinity River area, south if I-30 where nothing was working with elevation.:)

i spun peg man west but it all still looked too flat out there. not knowing city hurt me in that regard, so i didnt "fly" out there looking for elevated surfaces. didnt think to use topography tools in Google .

Google Earth is my first approach.

I usually hover and pick one alignment, move in/out along that alignment to get the others then look for a landing zone.

Alan

Google Earth is my first approach.

I usually hover and pick one alignment, move in/out along that alignment to get the others then look for a landing zone.

Alan
usually Maps is my prefered technique at that works best from phone for me to handle.

From my home PC, with a mouse, Earth works much bettet with your technique to get l.o.s. alighment, then distance. Elevation usually falls outta that quite naturally most times, or easily located nearby cuz you're right there on top of your spot.

:thumbsup:

I thought St Louis at first too when I saw the bridge. When that didn’t pan out, I remembered that Show Gas Monkeys. It took place in Dallas and I think the title credits drove under the hill bridge. If not in the title credits, I remember seeing it a lot. After that, I started google ‘Dallas Skyline’ and that other picture came up and I knew it was the right place.

I thought St Louis at first too when I saw the bridge. When that didn’t pan out, I remembered that Show Gas Monkeys. It took place in Dallas and I think the title credits drove under the hill bridge. If not in the title credits, I remember seeing it a lot. After that, I started google ‘Dallas Skyline’ and that other picture came up and I knew it was the right place.

stay tuned ... i have made it my mission to stump you cats yet... :poke:

you and @MrMoparCHP got there first as i will still looking when i put up the game.

i havent been to Dallas since Hunt Hill bridge opened so didnt even know it existed. Been to St. Louis many more times.

Thread 'Say, What's that Avatar?' Say, What's that Avatar?

:thumbsup:

39542-a71b5df51030b7f302c26ec2714f91d0.jpg

00-1-0.jpg

Back