Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

Here is one from a 73 Chevrolet brochure.
This one might be a challenge as there is no Street View to confirm it (from this spot), you can go into town and find structures on the other side of the bay.
Don't recall how difficult it was for me to locate.

North East USA

1973 Chevrolet Wagons (Rev)-10-11.jpg

Alan

I have an idea, using the thematic elements of the ad, basic familiarity (I went to school in the NE) with coastal regions and the building styles, and even the maker and their "footprint" in the region in the 1970's.

I went to a specfic style of city, but found more than ONE candidate location. Was not yet able to narrow the choices with a definitive ID. Could be way wrong as well.

Then again, did it a work at lunch. i'll try a bit more at home and shoot you a guess by PM a little later. Even then, not sure I can get it unless one/more structures start to standout for me.

Challenging but not insoluable. :)

Apparently that is a very popular look for small bay towns in the northeast. I can almost make out the name of a company on that tank near the boat just above the family. I am still searching. :)

We had one find it.

Gloucester, MA
A difficult one to verify as there is no Street View near the spot. In town you can see the stairs and some of the buildings that are still there.
Gloucester 1.jpg

Gloucester 2.jpg

Alan

I lucked up on it. I have been there because I went to grad school near there. Notwithstanding, the ad screams "New England fishing" with the architecture/models clothing/ style of boats, etc.

Screenshot 2024-10-15 152253.jpg

As OP said, you can't get "Peg Man" down to the edge of State Pier, but you can get a distant look at the north side of the north channel. But not a good look. My pic above was from approximately the "red circle" below.

Its magnified, and overall topography looks about right, but it distorts the buildings across the water. That blurriness was tripping me up.
Walter P.png

Below: Why else "glaa·str' (what a crazy way to pronounce "Gloucester") to start looking?

There is (should be) always something players can use to try to I/D a place they may have NEVER been. In this case, its hard to read, even after blowing it up, but the structure has a name.

That particular oil company was all along the NE coast, but with a guess, it gave a place to start looking for structures that looked like they might have been in the ad back in 1973.

1729531080382.png

Last edited:
1729597825241.png

www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8c1cd55b-1251-4298-9c59-0772d3661afc

I am like Tom Brady and Al Pacino .. just can't retire. :poke:

A couple (actually 3) have come up from other threads. I just happen to know the place on sight via in person visits over the years..

Be advised these next three are medium-to-difficult to solve, but as always enough there to solve them (pic and/or hints).

Where is this 1961 Buick? (this pic came from another thread recently)

1. Midwestern US city, somewhat "synonymous" with this brand in a way. City and State?
2. Is exact location of the car still there?
3. If 2. is true, recent picture of location? If 2. is not true, what's there now?

If you decide to play, answer will be posted on Thursday AM EDT. This one, I think, is lower on the difficulty scale, so shouldn't take long to decide if ya got it or not.

:)

1729597639118.png

Last edited:
View attachment 688161

I am like Tom Brady and Al Pacino .. just can't retire. :poke:

A couple (actually 3) have come up from other threads. I just happen to know the place on sight via in person visits over the years..

Be advised these next three are medium-to-difficult to solve, but as always enough there to solve them (pic and/or hints).

Where is this 1961 Buick? (this pic came from another thread recently)

1. Midwestern US city, somewhat "synonymous" with this brand in a way. City and State?
2. Is exact location of the car still there?
3. If 2. is true, recent picture of location? If 2. is not true, what's there now?

If you decide to play, answer will be posted on Thursday AM EDT. This one, I think, is lower on the difficulty scale, so shouldn't take long to decide if ya got it or not.

:)

View attachment 688154
Interesting yet confusing. There is no parking a car there now.

Alan

#687. One reported solver.

1729771723981.png

This is Longway Planetarium, in Flint Michigan. Been there when kids were young, circa 1992 when I worked in Flint.

Yes, its still there, built/opened in 1958. Been renovate/remodeled in the 65 years, so that 1961 pic cannot be duplicated.

Less than 10 years after it opened they replaced the roof with the teal one (original roof leaked almost from the start) and took that fancy geometric lattice work down.

The reflecting fountains/pool, due to age/detrioration of the concrete, was removed about 20 years ago. They also needed the land they say for new, adjacent construction.

Below, looking northerly. Building on the left was built this century and the Buick would have been about where the lime green facade is on the left.
Screenshot 2024-10-14 163411.jpg

Screenshot 2024-10-15 152253.jpg

Below, 1967 compared to today.

That reflecting pond was a large feature back in the day, actually quite striking people say (colored lights, water jets, etc). 50 years of Michigan winters was too much for it.

1729771974729.png

New game.

Where is this 1968 Torino fastback?

1. Western US City and State?
2. Exactly where in this city?
3. Public property, where this kind of photo not allowed now ("Peg Man" can't get down there). Pedestrians appear to still have access, but not with their cars/trucks on unofficial/non-permitted business.

Rather challenging if you don't recognize it on sight. Digital search skills would come in handy, otherwise, to find it.

Answer next Monday AM EDT.

20201115_172859.jpg

Last edited:
somebody got it already.

turns out it is more "famous" than I thought as a commercial product/entertainment production location. meaning you may have seen this place in a movie or on TV before -- like i did -- just didnt know what it was.

apparently, there's a regular Mopar show nearby too. small world.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back