Which AC compressor. RV2 or Sandon on my 66 New Yorker

It's a very good point that even if you get frost out of the vents the fan speed and lack of insulation are real challenges
I agree... Last summer when my compressor was working good, the AC was blowing ice cold but the fan speed seemed a bit lackluster. It would be great if there was a way to get a more powerful fan.

I agree... Last summer when my compressor was working good, the AC was blowing ice cold but the fan speed seemed a bit lackluster. It would be great if there was a way to get a more powerful fan.
The blowers are GM in later Mopar's. I don't know about your year. If possible use a genuine GM blower.

The blowers are GM in later Mopar's. I don't know about your year. If possible use a genuine GM blower.
I'll look into that.. I have a 1968 early bronco that has an upgraded blower from another vehicle. It was close to a direct fit and really boosted the air flow. It would be nice if something like that is available for my New Yorker.

Hi guys... Need some help here. I've owned my New Yorker now for almost a year and since taking ownership, I made a couple of modifications. The addition of the radial tires, dual exhaust and a dual snorkel air cleaner. Yes... I know the air cleaner is not correct and actually located the correct 1966 440 TNT air cleaner on ebay and it is ordered and on its way. In addition to the sight modifications, I have added about 2,500 carefree miles on the car, and it has performed beautifully. That said, my wife and I are about to embark on a longer road trip and as luck would have it, the AC stopped blowing cold. I took it in for a diagnosis today and discovered that the compressor is no longer working.

My big dilemma.... Should I replace the stock compressor with a rebuilt RV2 compressor and convert it to R134 or get the parts together and swap in a modern Sandon style compressor? I know the new style is more efficient and doesn't use has much HP to drive it... But will it cool better? The car has way then enough power and I can't see how I'd notice a 5 HP difference. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 658621

Classic Auto Air rebuilds the compressors. Find some R12, it's out there, swap meets, garage sales, ask all of your car buddies, older parents might have some on their back shelf. and the RV2.
Well after a lot of thought, help and advice from all of you as well as my classic car buddies, I decided that I'm going to stick with the RV2 set primarily to keep the stock look and nostalgia of the original equipment. I pulled the trigger and ordered a rebuilt compressor from a reputable rebuilder on Ebay. I've sourced the R12 refrigerant and should be good to go in a couple of weeks. I think the stock compressor is going to complement my correct, newly sourced and installed 440 TNT dual snorkel air cleaner.

IMG_3208.JPEG

Good choice.Who did you get the compressor from?

Last edited:
Hi guys... Need some help here. I've owned my New Yorker now for almost a year and since taking ownership, I made a couple of modifications. The addition of the radial tires, dual exhaust and a dual snorkel air cleaner. Yes... I know the air cleaner is not correct and actually located the correct 1966 440 TNT air cleaner on ebay and it is ordered and on its way. In addition to the sight modifications, I have added about 2,500 carefree miles on the car, and it has performed beautifully. That said, my wife and I are about to embark on a longer road trip and as luck would have it, the AC stopped blowing cold. I took it in for a diagnosis today and discovered that the compressor is no longer working.

My big dilemma.... Should I replace the stock compressor with a rebuilt RV2 compressor and convert it to R134 or get the parts together and swap in a modern Sandon style compressor? I know the new style is more efficient and doesn't use has much HP to drive it... But will it cool better? The car has way then enough power and I can't see how I'd notice a 5 HP difference. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 658621

View attachment 658622

View attachment 658623

View attachment 658624
I prefer originality, and have always replaced the RV-2 compressor on my 70 Hurst as needed, but in recent years I've found that since there are no actual 'new' compressors anymore, the rebuilt units from places like Rock Auto just don't seem to cut it anymore and I only get a few short years out of them. Next time I need one, I'm going with the Sanden. There are a few companies that make the bracketry to mount the Sanden in the same place, but you need new hoses/fittings to complete the installation. At least you can then have an actual new compressor with better technology that should last a long time. I have already converted to R-134 and it seems to work well enough for me in Texas, albeit not quite the same amount of 'ice' cold air out of the vents as R-12.

I prefer originality, and have always replaced the RV-2 compressor on my 70 Hurst as needed, but in recent years I've found that since there are no actual 'new' compressors anymore, the rebuilt units from places like Rock Auto just don't seem to cut it anymore and I only get a few short years out of them. Next time I need one, I'm going with the Sanden. There are a few companies that make the bracketry to mount the Sanden in the same place, but you need new hoses/fittings to complete the installation. At least you can then have an actual new compressor with better technology that should last a long time. I have already converted to R-134 and it seems to work well enough for me in Texas, albeit not quite the same amount of 'ice' cold air out of the vents as R-12.
I’m looking forward to the ice cold air! My buddy who has been in the HVAC business for 30 years still has a good inventory of R12 in his coffers….

I’m looking forward to the ice cold air! My buddy who has been in the HVAC business for 30 years still has a good inventory of R12 in his coffers….
I wish I had one of those near me. I bought a 30lb jug of R12 with about 20lbs remaining, went to use it a couple months later and it was empty. Uuggghhh. Lesson learned.

As to R12 vs. R134a...you can get a Sanden compressor the is rated for R12 use.My old 1992 Dakota (RIP) used R12 with that style compressor, which is still available.There are R12 models in the Sanden replacement catalog also.

View attachment 658621

View attachment 658622

View attachment 658623

View attachment 658624
You have a beautiful car there. Hope you enjoy it. RV2 can work well I bought a 74 Imperial Crown Coupe The wot fully functional when it arrived My friend who is a retired MOPAR career technician got it working with a rebuilt RV2 and many other parts. He did it to R134 He had it working at 40 degrees until the evaporator started leaking, if that is what is under the dash. We gave up for now but it can produce highly cold air

As to R12 vs. R134a...you can get a Sanden compressor the is rated for R12 use.My old 1992 Dakota (RIP) used R12 with that style compressor, which is still available.There are R12 models in the Sanden replacement catalog also.
Shamu, my 69 Fury III vert has a knock off R12 Sanden compressor.

You brought up a very good point. There are genuine Sanden compressors and there are Sanden style Chinese compressors. Don't let the price of the Chinese junk entice you.
Agreed. I would have installed a Sanden unit, but the car came with the Chinesium equipment.

Classic Auto Air rebuilds the compressors. Find some R12, it's out there, swap meets, garage sales, ask all of your car buddies, older parents might have some on their back shelf. and the RV2.
Or, have someone who worked AC systems in the 70s to pay for school before joining a large computer company. He just dropped off a case of R12 for me at my office. Now I have two cases and four R12 systems.

View attachment 658621

View attachment 658622

View attachment 658623

View attachment 658624
This car is a jaw dropper. I can't help with your mechanical challenge on this one but I can offer my appreciation for you keeping that machine in such good order! Great pictures also...especially the dusk pic with the lighting.

Back