Why are magnum center caps so long? (they don't need to be)

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
That's the question. Why are the center caps so long when they don't need to be? I think the wheels would look a lot better if the center caps were half or even a third the length. I'm going to have some examples 3-D printed and see how they'd look.

727.jpg

728.jpg

I finally have mounted a pair of Hankook 215-75-14's to these old magnum rims. I still have to re-paint the insets black.

722.jpg

You'll have to consult with Chrysler and/or Motor Wheel Corp. MWC built the wheels for Chrysler, Ford, and their own aftermarket distribution networks.

At this point in time, finding ANYBODY at those places who was around back then is highly unlikely.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Ford used short centers on their Magnun wheels. I have a some I can photo
I didn't know there were shorter caps. The odd time I've searched for them (new/repo or used) they always seemed to be the same (same length) which is what - 3 inches?

Ford used short centers on their Magnun wheels. I have a some I can photo
So there's one answer. Didn't want to be like Ford OR Ford didn't want to be like Chrysler. Similar but different.

A similar thing to the sizes of the wheels used. Chrysler stuck to the 14x5.5, whereas Ford used the 14x6 and 15x7s on their sporty models. The Chrysler 14x5.5 wheels have a Pentastar stamp on the inside center of the rim, where the size is also stamped. The Ford 14x6 wheels have a Ford Oval logo similarly stamped.

CBODY67

It was all about the looks. I personally have always liked the Magnum 500/ road wheels.

Also 1969 and 1970 chevys used these wheels with painted spokesm trim rings and a medium length cap.

AMC had trim ring versions and caps with their full name spelled out on the center medallion.

Then there was the "magnum 500" center cap with a red foil sticker.

Chrysler had the longest center cap of all of them.

Ford used both 14x7 and 15x7 chrome wheels extensively 1969 to the mid 70's then went with the painted spokes.

I've always shared that same opinion. The centers stick out too far.

I have seen some reproduction center caps that are about a half inch or so shorter than the originals, but that was a long time ago and it would probably be pretty tough to find a set.

The shorty Ford centers don't clear the Mopar dust cap. Ford used a much shorter spindle than Chrysler.

Jeff

Also 1969 and 1970 chevys used these wheels with painted spokesm trim rings and a medium length cap.

AMC had trim ring versions and caps with their full name spelled out on the center medallion.

Then there was the "magnum 500" center cap with a red foil sticker.

Chrysler had the longest center cap of all of them.

Ford used both 14x7 and 15x7 chrome wheels extensively 1969 to the mid 70's then went with the painted spokes.

My boss has a 1970 Chevelle with the Magnum 500's. I'll try to remember to measure the length of the center to see how it compares to the Chrysler.

Maybe the repops I saw were a GM cap with Mopar center decals.

Jeff

Back