Will an 1978 RV 727 fit into a 1971 Newport with a 383?

If it has the big mount on top of the tail shaft, no, not without swapping parts.

The big one is if the RV had a small block or a big block. Different bolt patterns on the bellhousing.

Then there's tailshaft length and it has to have a slip joint output shaft. The converter will need the balance weights cut off.

Don't know what motor was in the RV. Thanks!
Big block bell housing looks circular. You need a big block trans for that 383 V8 Newport
20200328_164732.jpg
20200328_170949.jpg

Small block looks flat on passenger side. Also torque converter cover bolts location and starter location are different on small and big block bell housings
727bells.jpg

Thanks for the answers guys! I did find out that it was a big block RV but I may pass on it if it needs any mods at all to fit.
Any lines on a confirmed good used one or rebuilt for my '71 BB?

Thanks for the answers guys! I did find out that it was a big block RV but I may pass on it if it needs any mods at all to fit.
Any lines on a confirmed good used one or rebuilt for my '71 BB?
Hi rds
Transmissions are heavy. To avoid shipping costs, you may want to stay local.
I suggest that you take pictures of the RV trans - front, rear, and sides - and post them to this thread.
We can help you with whether it needs mods. Ben

Not seeing any pics I can only guess.
Small black and big block have different bellhousing bolt patterns.
The majority of RV 727 that I had seen had short talistocks with 2 pice drive shafts and hanger bearing and cable shifted .
Which requires significant parts swapping to fit in a C body which may not be feasible.

Back