Windshield Cowl Fasteners

66furys

Reaction score
I may have asked this before, but am still puzzled. I have tried a couple small clip types but no cigar. Also have looked at some of the suppliers such as Mr G but have not gotten a handle on this fastener that has a very small hole behind for anything. I currently am using a sheet metal screw to keep the cowl in place. My car came with no fasteners here. Any help appreciated.

cowl fastener.jpg

Screws are what hold the cowl down along the top of the firewall. It looks like that hole that you are showing has been enlarged. You may have to use a sheet metal screw on that hole.

Just good old fashioned sheet metal screws. Phillips head, rounded top. They would possibly have been painted body colour, as that part was assembled on the car prior to painting.

You can see them on this pic of my car's cowl panel...

Car_Engine5.JPG

Thank you muchly.....your car looks almost new....wish mine were even in that ballpark. But, that is why I have RoadKill on the back window.

Just pulled the kick panels for carpet and leaf remove from the vents and voila. The two screws in the door frame on the panel are the same.....a slot with maybe no. 6 screw. This may have answered my original question if I had pulled this first. aaargh

Ephiany of the day....even old fools can learn something. My car had a loose cowl only held down by half of those unobtainium trim clips...no screws. So, thanks to Ross above for the screw job mention....good. So, I have been fighting with the trim above and the clips.....thought that some other fastener on the outer edges.....NOT. The cowl is held in front AND on top with maybe No 6.....and I will use ledger with flat head washer screws. So, the cowl is screwed down, front first to position it, then on top. And finally, the trim and clips on top. I did not understand since none of this was in place on mine.....but finally figured it out, with help, thanks again.

I may have asked this before, but am still puzzled. I have tried a couple small clip types but no cigar. Also have looked at some of the suppliers such as Mr G but have not gotten a handle on this fastener that has a very small hole behind for anything. I currently am using a sheet metal screw to keep the cowl in place. My car came with no fasteners here. Any help appreciated.

View attachment 614852
I used sheet metal screws, from what I saw that was all it had in there to begin with, I think they were painted to match the color of the car

Good Morning
On a '65 Chrysler the cowl is attached by screws. Mine is an original paint car and the screws were not painted body color.
Mine were rustyIMG_1757.JPG so I re-shot then with some argent wheel paint.IMG_1758.JPGIMG_1760.JPG

I had used the term ledger screws above, also called washer head for some and also truss head sheet metal screws, that have a washer head unlike a pan head. Seems no. 8 very short will work???

I had used the term ledger screws above, also called washer head for some and also truss head sheet metal screws, that have a washer head unlike a pan head. Seems no. 8 very short will work???
Yeah, thats the same ones I used on mine. I picked them up at the local Lowes hardware store.

Back