Wondering where I can buy one of these.... whatever it's called....

Northern Australia

Reaction score
Hi members

Just wondering where I can buy one of these side guards (I don't know the proper name for the part) for my 1969 Newport convertible...

I damaged it in an underground carpark... My excuse is the vehicle is so long it has a bit of tail swing (kind of like some trucks and forklifts)... That's my excuse anyway!!!

Grateful for any help you may be able to provide...

From North Australia

IMG20240712174752.jpg

IMG20240511164257.jpg

Rear quarter panel molding?

If it's a normal piece of stainless, might be straightened. There are people who do that for older cars with stainless steel moldings. If it is more like anodized aluminum, MIGHT be able to make a difference, but I'm not sure if a good straightening might be possible as the anodized aluminum is much harder and more brittle, I suspect.

Only problem would be getting the molding off and then shipped to somebody that straightens them. THAT could be a bigger problem, to me.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Only problem would be getting the molding off and then shipped to somebody that straightens them. THAT could be a bigger problem, to me.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Absolutely. Shipping a nice used piece to Australia would be dicey at best. A heavy PVC pipe would be the best choice there and hope it doesn't get damaged.

Hi members

Just wondering where I can buy one of these side guards (I don't know the proper name for the part) for my 1969 Newport convertible...

I damaged it in an underground carpark... My excuse is the vehicle is so long it has a bit of tail swing (kind of like some trucks and forklifts)... That's my excuse anyway!!!

Grateful for any help you may be able to provide...

From North Australia

View attachment 671104

View attachment 671105
Have it straightened or start a parts wanted thread here if you want to take a chance with shipping.

That piece looks like it is aluminum. You have to be careful if you do it yourself. Aluminum stretches easily. If that is held on with plastic clips, I would make sure I could get new ones before I took it off. Nice car.

That piece looks like it is aluminum. You have to be careful if you do it yourself. Aluminum stretches easily. If that is held on with plastic clips, I would make sure I could get new ones before I took it off. Nice car.
Thank you kindly... yes, it is held on by plastic clips. Not sure if it is aluminum - it might be. In any event, I will take your advice and take care!!! Thanks again...

@Northern Australia — that part has a number, which you should be able to find in the parts manual. Careful that the part number changes with the color of the insert. To get the color of yours, check the last letter of your V5. code in your fender tag. B is for blue, F is for green, G is for gold, L is for tan, X is for black (V5X).

Once you have the number, start searching online and, as @Toolmanmike said, post a thread in the FCBO parts wanted section. @marty mopar owns Arizona Parts which is a place where I always check —good parts and very fair prices. Also see eBay.

The long section of the side molding is 2933990. The short rear extension is 3419006. both are RH (passenger side) only parts.

I checked all the most likely sources that might have that part number nos and no one that I have used in the past seems to have it in stock................................so straightening seems like your best option.

@Northern Australia — that part has a number, which you should be able to find in the parts manual. Careful that the part number changes with the color of the insert. To get the color of yours, check the last letter of your V5. code in your fender tag. B is for blue, F is for green, G is for gold, L is for tan, X is for black (V5X).

Once you have the number, start searching online and, as @Toolmanmike said, post a thread in the FCBO parts wanted section. @marty mopar owns Arizona Parts which is a place where I always check —good parts and very fair prices. Also see eBay.
Great to hear from you and learn about Arizona Parts - a great contact to have. I'll reach out to them - it looks like they have a great selection of parts. Thanks again for your help.

G'Day,
For Many Years a P/Beaters in Five Dock, Sydney used to do All the Repairs for That Sort of Stuff.
I Remember Giving a Fellow Club Member a Rear Wheel Wrap-Around Mold for a 62 Phoenix.
It was in Terrible Condition But That was the Only Thing Available After Months of Searching.
When he Bought the Car to Show Me I Almost Called the Poor fellow a Liar When I Saw the Repaired Mold on the Car.
I Would Have Sworn That He Had Found a New Part.
The Old Panel Beater (Who was A Member of the Chrysler Restorers Club )has Since Passed Away But I'm Thinking He May Have Taught His Son the "Magic"
AWDON MOTOR BODY WORKS 5 REGATTA RD FIVEDOCK 2046
02 9744 9957
Hope This Helps.
Regards Tony.M

I checked all the most likely sources that might have that part number nos and no one that I have used in the past seems to have it in stock................................so straightening seems like your best option.
Thank you kindly for your assistance. I really appreciate it. Hope you have a great day!!!

The long section of the side molding is 2933990. The short rear extension is 3419006. both are RH (passenger side) only parts.
Thanks for your assistance with this - I appreciate your help.

I searched for the parts numbers for hours without success!!!

G'Day,
For Many Years a P/Beaters in Five Dock, Sydney used to do All the Repairs for That Sort of Stuff.
I Remember Giving a Fellow Club Member a Rear Wheel Wrap-Around Mold for a 62 Phoenix.
It was in Terrible Condition But That was the Only Thing Available After Months of Searching.
When he Bought the Car to Show Me I Almost Called the Poor fellow a Liar When I Saw the Repaired Mold on the Car.
I Would Have Sworn That He Had Found a New Part.
The Old Panel Beater (Who was A Member of the Chrysler Restorers Club )has Since Passed Away But I'm Thinking He May Have Taught His Son the "Magic"
AWDON MOTOR BODY WORKS 5 REGATTA RD FIVEDOCK 2046
02 9744 9957
Hope This Helps.
Regards Tony.M
Thanks for the contact... It looks like it might be difficult to source the part. I am not surprised - I think Chrysler only manufactured about 3 000 convertibles in 1969 and 1970... So I may end up reaching out to Awdon Motor Body works... Could be a good excuse for a trip to Sydney for an AFL or NRL game!!!!

@Northern Australia -- is 19 what we are talking about? Pages 875-876 of the PDF (scan of the parts manual) here.

View attachment 671759
View attachment 671762
Yes, it is 19. It looks like mine wasn't a spring special - I guess that the spring special was a limited release around Spring 1969.... This is a great help, and consistent with a part number Cuda Mark kindly provided. Thank you for this information. There are so many helpful people on this site with a wealth of information. If the part is still available anywhere, I am confident I will track it down sooner or later....
Thanks again for this information - I'm sure I'll need it future too!!!

Back