65 SF will header fit if I go to a 440

Reaction score
I was planning on redoing the 383 which came with my 65 Sport Fury which I found a set of headers for already until yesterday.

I came across a 440 on Facebook locally which the guy claimed but did not know for sure that it had been recently rebuilt by the previous owner. I ended up taking the risk and buying it for $200. Come to find out it is a fresh rebuild with forged pistons.

My questions are: Since the 440 is dimension-ally bigger than the 383 will the headers fit the car? What other problems am I going to run into other than the motor mount issue? Are the 4 speed bell housings the same? Since the car has AC will I need different brackets for the compressor? Power brake booster interference?

I was planning on redoing the 383 which came with my 65 Sport Fury which I found a set of headers for already until yesterday.

I came across a 440 on Facebook locally which the guy claimed but did not know for sure that it had been recently rebuilt by the previous owner. I ended up taking the risk and buying it for $200. Come to find out it is a fresh rebuild with forged pistons.

My questions are: Since the 440 is dimension-ally bigger than the 383 will the headers fit the car? What other problems am I going to run into other than the motor mount issue? Are the 4 speed bell housings the same? Since the car has AC will I need different brackets for the compressor? Power brake booster interference?

Although I haven't done it yet, I'm about two weeks away from performing the same engine swap as you. My research, so far, indicates the two engines share the same heads, A/C brackets, etc. So, you should be good to go. I'll let you all know soon how my swap from a 383 to a 440 works out.

Going into a 65?

No. The 440 is a '66 block going into a '66 300 convertible. It has 516 heads, which are the same as the heads on the 383 (also a '66 block) currently installed. The car has A/C, and the cheapskate who installed it, (instead of replacing the original blown up 440 with another correct 440) used all the original 440 accessories and brackets on the 383 replacement. I'm pretty confident everything will hook up nicely.

If your putting a 440 into a 65 SF make sure the front bosses are drilled and tapped for the motor mount brackets. If you are trying to squeeze B Body headers in a C Body it will take some hammering. The Tri-Y work nice or the TTI, but the TTI has a different part number for 383 and 440 applications.

If your putting a 440 into a 65 SF make sure the front bosses are drilled and tapped for the motor mount brackets. If you are trying to squeeze B Body headers in a C Body it will take some hammering. The Tri-Y work nice or the TTI, but the TTI has a different part number for 383 and 440 applications.

I bought some used headers that look identical to the TTI headers I see in examples I have seen in and out of 65 Sport Fury's. I'll try to post a pic of them

Here's the headers

1006171552_Burst01.jpg

1006171555.jpg

That 66 440 I was speaking of is an unmolested engine. Only thing, I believe, not original on it is a Holley carb.

The part numbers are different due to the wider configuration of the 440, this changes the tube configuration angle. This means the tubing has to be bent inward more to allow clearance for the wider profile of the engine vs the steering gear and frame rails.
The 383 headers can be made to work, but it will take some heating of the tubing and tweaking.
Dave

I bought some used headers that look identical to the TTI headers I see in examples I have seen in and out of 65 Sport Fury's. I'll try to post a pic of them
Bare in mind that TTI makes RB headers and B headers. Your 383 headers will take some tweaking as Davea mentioned above.

Where were you back in July, before I found the 440 I have now? It is at the machine shop and is due for delivery back to me any day now.

Pretty easy to get your money out of a freshly machined 440 especially is originality is of importance to you. Up to you but let me know as I am working a deal right now and deciding if i want to buy the car for parts/ resale or just to make it a parts car.

The part numbers are different due to the wider configuration of the 440, this changes the tube configuration angle. This means the tubing has to be bent inward more to allow clearance for the wider profile of the engine vs the steering gear and frame rails.
The 383 headers can be made to work, but it will take some heating of the tubing and tweaking.
Dave

Unfortunately I have no idea nor did the seller of the 3 sets of headers I bought at the same time for $150 what they fit. Really would love to know what the other headers fit!

1006171554.jpg

1006171555a.jpg

Pretty easy to get your money out of a freshly machined 440 especially is originality is of importance to you. Up to you but let me know as I am working a deal right now and deciding if i want to buy the car for parts/ resale or just to make it a parts car.

Unfortunately I have no idea nor did the seller of the 3 sets of headers I bought at the same time for $150 what they fit. Really would love to know what the other headers fit!

View attachment 147194

View attachment 147195

Andy: The engine I found, which is now at the machine shop, is a date-code correct '66 440. I stumbled around for a coupla years before I found it - actually, in the end, it found me. . . Here is the story:

The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Sounds like that the "parts car" you found is a good deal. Can't hurt to have an extra '66 with a 440, TF transmission, etc. laying around.

Andy: The engine I found, which is now at the machine shop, is a date-code correct '66 440. I stumbled around for a coupla years before I found it - actually, in the end, it found me. . . Here is the story:

The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Sounds like that the "parts car" you found is a good deal. Can't hurt to have an extra '66 with a 440, TF transmission, etc. laying around.

Just thought i would offer if it was important to you. I was going to buy it to use the 440 in my 65 but with this fresh (75 by casting date or 78 by casting number) 440 I am going that route with my dual quad plans. Might still buy it since it's an AC car and if the brackets are different as I suspect i will have them.

Just thought i would offer if it was important to you. I was going to buy it to use the 440 in my 65 but with this fresh (75 by casting date or 78 by casting number) 440 I am going that route with my dual quad plans. Might still buy it since it's an AC car and if the brackets are different as I suspect i will have them.

Thanks a lot, Andy. The correct date coding was / is important to me. That is why it took me a while to find the right engine. One thing to note regarding the '65 versus '66 Chryslers: The transmissions are different. The sixty-five is a cable operated box, and the '66 is not. I don't know about all the brackets, etc. . .

andy , does your new engine have the two bosses on the drivers front drilled and tapped for the 65 drivers side mounting bracket ? and you say this new 440 is a late version , what crank does it have , cast or forged ? got pics ?

Back