Gas smell in oil

newport

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I haven't been on here in a while after selling my 66 newport. But recently I have purchased
another C body that I fell in love with. It's a 67 Dodge Polara 2dr hardtop with a 318. Upon looking at the car
it had carb issues. So after many hours of negotiating price I put her on a trailer and brought her home. I bought
a new 2bbl carb and installed along with all new tune up parts. She is hard to start cold but after the initial start
she starts quickly the rest of the day and runs like a top. I changed the oil and filter this weekend and took her
on a 170 mile trip yesterday. She performed beautifully. After arriving home last night and letting her sit for about
half an hour I checked the oil. It is almost a quart over full and smells of gas and also has a couple small spots on
the dipstick that were a little milky in color. Could this be a bad fuel pump or am I looking at a more serious problem?
Thanks in advance for any help. polara.jpg

polara.jpg

A bad diaphragm in the fuel pump can cause this. Also a flooding carb can cause it. Don't drive the car anymore until the issue is resolved. You don't want fuel in the crankcase... be sure to also change the oil again.

Welcome back! ! That looks like a nice driver.

Thank you! Glad to be back here and in the drivers seat of a mopar again! She is a one family owned car. The guy I bought her
from grandfather bought it new. I have the window sticker and bill of sale where he traded in a 65 chevy truck. Interior is like new with the
exception of a split in front seat and passenger side door handle. The am radio still works with a fader for front to rear speakers. And she only has
94,000 miles!

A bad diaphragm in the fuel pump can cause this. Also a flooding carb can cause it. Don't drive the car anymore until the issue is resolved. You don't want fuel in the crankcase... be sure to also change the oil again.

Thank you, I am going to change the oil/filter this week again. I have also got a new pump. Hopefully no damage has occurred.

X2 on bad fuel pump ( diapham) also probably why it has cold start issues unless you did not connect the choke.

X 3 on the fuel pump ......

I had this happen on my first 318 engine rebuild back in the 80's and was cutting corners on costs. I never replaced my fuel pump and it leaked internally into the engine and I ended up burning up all of the bearings and essentially ruined my newly rebuilt motor :BangHead: So then I replaced it with a 1977 318 engine out of a totaled Cordoba with 15,000 miles on it. Costly mistake for not replacing a fuel pump.

I'm not into Dodge Polaras at all, but now and again when you see such a nice color combo and wheel covers that compliment the car, it really stands out. That is such a sweet car for sure.
BTW, x5 for the fuel pump.

X6 for the pump....have seen the oil pan blown off of engines with a bad diaphragm.
Beautiful dodge btw.

Love the car, welcome back from the Motor City! Sounds like these guys have you covered. Let us know how the repair goes.

Thanks to all for the feed back! Its decided to turn winter again here in Indiana, so it may be a couple days before
I get to the fuel pump and oil change. One more question though. How long should I run the new oil/filter before
I change it again. Just want to make sure to get all the gas out of it.

Thanks to all for the feed back! Its decided to turn winter again here in Indiana, so it may be a couple days before
I get to the fuel pump and oil change. One more question though. How long should I run the new oil/filter before
I change it again. Just want to make sure to get all the gas out of it.

I am not a mechanic however I would run the car for 20 - 30 minutes then check the oil dip stick to see if there is any thinning / dilution of the oil and smell it to see if it smells of gasoline. If all is good I would take the car on a few short runs and constantly check it until your satisfied that there is no gasoline present. :eusa_dance:

I am not a mechanic however I would run the car for 20 - 30 minutes then check the oil dip stick to see if there is any thinning / dilution of the oil and smell it to see if it smells of gasoline. If all is good I would take the car on a few short runs and constantly check it until your satisfied that there is no gasoline present. :eusa_dance:

Thank you Ironwolf, I will do that. I just hope there hasn't been any internal damage.

Your lifters might get noisy at first but that's a 318 you're talking about, it'll get over it and run for another 100k.

Nice looking car! Glad to have learned about the fuel pump deal as well!

Glenn

Well when I got home from work tonight I swapped out the fuel pump and changed oil/filter. Hopefully this does the trick.
I cut open the old pump and the diaphram is dry rotted. I guess from sitting for a long time?

fuel pump.jpg

fuel pump.jpg

Back