Remember when?

even i am not old enough for these gems.

source: The Dangerous Playgrounds of the Past Through Vintage Photographs, 1880s-1940s - Rare Historical Photos

my 85 year old mom can tell stories of some of these death rigs.

seriously happy some of these houses of horror got retired, before my little boy, "king of the hill" bravado kicked in.

some of you older folks may have done some of these contraptions into the '50's.

View attachment 676853View attachment 676854View attachment 676855
I was born in the 50's but remember nothing like that height wise, but when I was a little older in my teenage years we figured out with the help of a friend that the canvas chain link swings at our old elementary school could be spun around over the top for quite a few turns. Daredevils we were...

I was born in the 50's but remember nothing like that height wise, but when I was a little older in my teenage years we figured out with the help of a friend that the canvas chain link swings at our old elementary school could be spun around over the top for quite a few turns. Daredevils we were...

Screenshot_20240811-174239.png

when i was about 10 i was finally heavy enough (or peer pressured enough) to try to "wrap a swing" around the bar. we had a set like this in our local public park.

lived to tell about obviously ... but goes back to that old saying about " babies & fools"

i went around maybe 95 degrees from BDC, and started dropping straight down, head first.

last second leg kick, or an arm jerk, that got my a*" to flip toward the ground, and miraculously missed the bar (observers say it wasnt by much), cracked like a whip at BDC, and was flung outta the swing.

after i stopped crying, so what does my dumb a** do?

promptly try again until i went around .. once .. and enjoyed my rite of passage kudos. manhood proven, we all hopped on our "stingrays" and split :poke:.

easy peasy till about age 12 ( maybe 5-6 times total, didn't have the nads to keep going around more than once, else my Dad woulda surely killed me, if i didn't kill myself) .. then "swinging" was for "girls", "little" boys, or other kids not under death threat from their folks for being so reckless.

:)

Back