1959 Dodge 326 Engine assembly

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
I'm ready to assemble the used engine I bought to replace the locked up engine from my Coronet. I've used a straight edge to verify everything is within 0.004 tolerance with the straight edge on the block and heads. I've also chased all the head bolt holes and I'm ready to assemble. I looked in the factory service manual for the head bolts and it just says "tighten in sequence to 85 foot pounds". I'm going to do it in 3 rounds, 30 foot pounds, then 60 and then 85. I did not see any mention of needing to use any sealant on the head bolts in the FSM, so I'm assuming none of them go into a water jacket but wanted to ask to confirm. I'm also reusing the old head bolts as I believe they should be good. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Polys should bottom out. You might want to check the last exhaust manifold bolt..as the end bolts sometimes go into water jacket and sometimes leak...which would dribble down onto the rear head bolt area.

Checked all the bolt holes using a long screw driver. All of them bottomed out with the same length...so looks like no sealant needed. Now time to get busy and get this engine built.

Back