1960 Cast iron trans swap to aluminum 727 with park

Furious

Reaction score
I'm planning to swap out the cast iron transmission from my 1960 Polara, to a 1963-1964 aluminum 727. I'll be converting to a 1963 383 and 65-69 C body rear end with rear wheel park brakes at the same time.
The question I have, is what's the simple solution for adding the park lever into the push button dash? The 60 Dodge dash has a large removable panel for the push buttons that should be easy to notch for a park lever. Since the 63-64 880 has a similar dash design, I would think the 880 parts should, or could be adapted fairly easy. Finding 880's in Canada is next to impossible though.
What have others done to add the park lever?
Thanks

Get a 62 trans. 1 year only aluminum 727 with the drum parking brake on the tailshaft. I can't remember if it has a Park provision or not, but if it does, you could disable it and use your current setup.

It would not work with the 60 engine because of the extended crank flange but you are using the later style engine, so good to go.

Kevin

Did the 1965 C-body cars use two cables to the transmission? One for "gears" and the other one for "Park"? Seems like I saw that in a thread a while back?

CBODY67

All of the transmissions that have the built in park on the transmission use 2 cables.
•1 for the pusbuttons to put the car into gear
•1 for a separate lever that has a cable that goes directly to the park mechanism that’s located on the transmission near the tailshaft

Also on cars with a “park” the pushbutton mechanism has a separate arm lever bolted to the shifter mechanism box.
The 1960 Dodge will NOT have this provision.

The “park” arm lever was a different shape and mounted to the shifter box at different locations depending on the year & model.

I will add pictures showing the two shifter mechanisms side by side.

Adding pictures as stated in my other post, reply #5 showing the PB shifter mechanisms. In addition more details on the differences between the PB shifter mechanisms used in 1960 Dodge and 1963 Dodge Custom 880.
However, Chrysler was quite ingenious with PB shifter mechanisms, using the same basic box design for many years & models, but changed the orientation or position of how it was mounted into the dash, along with unique pushbuttons for each model to accommodate all of the different layouts.

Reference to this hopefully will assist in explaining that its NOT a simple swap or the best option to hack up a 1960 Dodge dash.

Picture of PB shifter mechanisms: 1963 Dodge 880 [on left] and 1960 Dodge [on right]

Note that both shifters are positioned the SAME way that they would be mounted into the dash
Differences:
> the slides are aligned in different orientations
> the 2 mounting studs are also aligned opposite - this is because the 1960 and 1963 Dodge dashes use a different mounting bracket to attach the shifter to the back of gauge / dash housing
> the large lever / arm is the "park" on the 1963 Dodge Custom 880 shifter and requires a lot of extra space

PB_Shifter_63-60-b.jpegPB_Shifter_63-60-a.jpeg

Last edited:
PB shifter mechanism from a 1963 Dodge Custom 880 showing the "park" arm / lever.

PB_Shifter_63.jpeg

I'm planning to swap out the cast iron transmission from my 1960 Polara, to a 1963-1964 aluminum 727. I'll be converting to a 1963 383 and 65-69 C body rear end with rear wheel park brakes at the same time.
The question I have, is what's the simple solution for adding the park lever into the push button dash? The 60 Dodge dash has a large removable panel for the push buttons that should be easy to notch for a park lever. Since the 63-64 880 has a similar dash design, I would think the 880 parts should, or could be adapted fairly easy. Finding 880's in Canada is next to impossible though.
What have others done to add the park lever?
Thanks
Some additional info that may assist with figuring out the best option. This topic is not new in the FL circle and there have been many individuals (including myself), that have contributed information and knowledge on how to swap to a transmission with actual "park" function and removing the emergency drum brake mounted on rear of the transmission.

Here is a link to one of the threads over on the Forward Look forum:

From info contained in original post stating that also swapping the rear axle to a later C-body set-up with rear drum brakes. The emergency brake pedal on the 1960 Dodge can be modified to attach to the parking brake cable that activates the drum e-brake on the later rear axle.

This was decades ago, but I can remember these details: Friend with a ‘62 chrysler and 727 died, another friend of ours worked in a transmission shop and set him up with a replacement and installed it. Replacement transmission was from a ‘63 and had the park provision. Picked up a park lever assembly from a junkyard car and screwed it out of sight underneath the dashboard. He simply reached under and flipped it each time getting in and out of the car. I always thought it was a great antitheft device.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Thanks for all the replies. My thoughts on adding the park lever type mechanism, is that the dash is more or less the same on the 63 Dodge 880, so using that shifter could be an option. There is lots of room under the push buttons on a 60 Dodge dash, and the basic dash profile etc is similar on all the 60-63 Dodge and 60-61 Desoto's

Back