1965 300 clicking noise from rear

Hunter

Reaction score
hey all. This is my first post. I've had 1 b bodies and several lx platform cars and 2 rams.

My new toy is a 1965 Chrysler 300 4dr sedan. 383 4bbl.
It's been driving me crazy. There is a clicking noise coming from the rear end. Originally it was both sides but the driver side was louder, and I suspected wheel bearings. I have replaced both wheel bearings and set axle end play. This seems to of cure the driver side but the passenger side still clicks. It is a speed relative metallic click,clank clicking noise. I ran the car on jack stands and it doesn't click. I took the wheels off and cAnt replicate the sound and it is driving me insane. Please help me!

I am. You mean hubcaps right? I did a test drive without them and couldn't hear it but upon putting it back on and the wheel skirt I heard it on the way home from my dads.
What would the hubcap be making a clicking sound?

What would the hubcap be making a clicking sound?

One of my caps (wheel cover) did that one time. My problem was the ring/spring clamp that holds the medallion in the center had come loose. Drove me nuts. I figured it out after a highway trip. Got home and the medallion fell into the cap. Simple fix, just put everything back in it's place. Hopefully that's your problem.

Pull the wheel cover off and shake it, if the medallion is loose, you should be able to hear it click/rattle.

Dave

And another thought, the tabs that hold the cap in place can be not tight enough and allow the entire cap to flex in/out as the wheel flexes, particularly on turns., this can also cause a clicking noise.

That's great info. Thanks everyone. Problem solved clicking gone. Now the car looks clapped out with steel wheels.

Great. Now you can go to work with a plier, judiciously, and tweak the mounting tabs so they'll grab tightly and/or tighten the medallion mounting if that was it so you can put 'em back on.

I'm considering some police style wheels or some hurst dazzler gold wheels.
Even maybe red powder coat the factory wheels before I get new tires. Possibilities are endless.

Back