1965 Brake options?

JGC403

Reaction score
The brake cylinders are sticking in my 1965 New Yorker. I want to rebuild the brakes in one day so I would like all of the parts ahead of time. On RockAuto there are 2 different sizes available 1 5/16" & 1 1/8". Last weekend we got the car running, bad fuel pump, and broke the brakes free a little. But ran out of time, so I couldn't get the drums off to measure. So were there 2 different options? Or is one the correct one?

Yah, those thingies. The shiny whtchamacallits that are shoved in the center of those big round cast iron disks. No, they're discs, right. Those things.

Yah, those thingies. The shiny whtchamacallits that are shoved in the center of those big round cast iron disks. No, they're discs, right. Those things.

Yep, also known as rotors. LOL!

So you're saying there is absolutely no way that the American made rotors from RA come from the same manufacturer as your American made rotors. And if not, you're also sure your American made rotors are better made than RA's American made rotors. Even though we both know with 99.999% certainty that whoever machined them, the castings are from China....

I ordered rear wheels cylinders twice for my 67 , all of them leaked. Twice they sent me the wrong rotors and calipers for the front.Then they finally admitted they didn't have them. It took three phone calls and ten days to get my money back.

I order stuff from RA, lots of,no probs so far. The exact same compressor,same model number even was $202 at RA, $420 at Advance,. Check it out. Maybe on the old stuff they are using a vendor where the parts have been around a while, or under water etc.

I recently got a new booster w/ MC for my 65 Newport for only $70 at rockauto (clearance). Other places want ~$250 plus a core. I didn't even need the MC since I plan to change to a dual MC (safer). I find rockauto's descriptions pretty accurate, and use them as a PN reference many times. Other places are not so good, especially all the multiple websites that seem to link to the same place or database. I would check rockauto for the correct wheel cylinder size. It probably varied with the shoe size (a few options I recall in 1965, but most were 11" x 3" front shoes). All would work, though you want the front and rears balanced so the rear doesn't lock-up first.

RA usually has multiple sources for a particular item. Acme, raybestos, Moog, Delco, etc.
Many times the chains have only their own label on something of unknown origin.

Tip 'o the day #317: "Duralast" starters. 3 grades, 3 prices: one w/a 30 day warranty. one with a 1 yr. warranty, and one with a lifetime warranty.
All the same starter.....

Back