1965 Imperial - Auto-Pilot Linkage part and More...

Ambush

Reaction score
Hey everyone out there ... Does anyone have the Linkage available for the Auto-Pilot ( or a source they can point me to), that's in good usable condition? I have a 1965 Imperial Crown with AP, but it lacks the linkage part(s). Actually, I think the linkage is all I need, but truth told I have not been able to find a picture of the Auto Pilot w/ all its connections and parts ( I do a have a SM and PM but I've found no pics, showing what I want to see ) I believe the linkage goes on one end of the "throttle" of the AP, but does anything like maybe a spring go on the other end? If it does use a spring, where can I find that?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would try Murray Park in Tiffin Ohio ( www.cbodies.com )

The Autopilot system is pretty much the same across the board - the linkage stuff may be slightly different from Imperial to C body, but the linkage from the gas pedal pivot poking through the floor to the servo unit on the inner fender is probably usable from a C body, as there is a lot of length adjustment built in.

Below are pictures of the system from the 1965 Parts Catalogue. I hope they help.

1725335147999.png

1725335210757.png

1725335239641.png

Hey this schematic was helpful ..I was able to determine that the linkage is all I need. QUESTION: I found the linkage part(s) but, I still will need to find the "ball stud" part to attach to the end of the linkage. It's code is 14-02-12 and the part number for it is: 1858 936. Where can I find this part or the modern part number that is equivalent? There are all sorts of ball studs out there. Thanks.

NEVER MIND; I found the ball stud still on the arm coming from the accelerator.

Last edited:
Hey this schematic was helpful ..I was able to determine that the linkage is all I need. QUESTION: I found the linkage part(s) but, I still will need to find the "ball stud" part to attach to the end of the linkage. It's code is 14-02-12 and the part number for it is: 1858 936. Where can I find this part or the modern part number that is equivalent? There are all sorts of ball studs out there. Thanks
Well I thought I found the AP linkage here: EBAY
But for some reason the shape of his rod is different than what I see in the parts manual schematic. The rod in the manual has 1 bend, the one on eBay has 2. Also the the rod on eBay has a U-shaped end on it and that would not appear to be the right end for a ball stud to attach to ...but maybe I'm wrong on this. Is the linkage I found on eBay actually right, even w/ it's differences?

One needs to keep in mind that the picture I posted may be a generic pic of an Autopilot system - and may NOT accurately depict the system for an Imperial. This is because it is nearly identical between the two platforms (C body and Imperial), but that there may be specific differences.

Regardless, what I see in the eBay link you posted looks entirely correct to me.

The U-shaped end on the shorter rod piece is there to keep the long piece aligned correctly when assembled together. Why do they have it that way? Well, the rod assembly is adjustible for length, but if it didn't have that alignment securing provision, it could easily flex at the joint and bend out of shape.

One needs to keep in mind that the picture I posted may be a generic pic of an Autopilot system - and may NOT accurately depict the system for an Imperial. This is because it is nearly identical between the two platforms (C body and Imperial), but that there may be specific differences.

Regardless, what I see in the eBay link you posted looks entirely correct to me.

The U-shaped end on the shorter rod piece is there to keep the long piece aligned correctly when assembled together. Why do they have it that way? Well, the rod assembly is adjustible for length, but if it didn't have that alignment securing provision, it could easily flex at the joint and bend out of shape.
Okay sounding good so far .... the end on the long rod where the ball stud connects the rod to the accelerator pedal. Could you tell from the pics on eBay if that area is right, in that a ball stud could connect there. Should that end have a "socket-like" connection point for the "ball" to push into ... I just cant tell from the pic on eBay. If it is correct, the guy will make a deal w/ me for just the linkage ...of course I'll still need to find the ball stud part.

UPDATE: I was looking for the backside of the gas pedal to see where the linkage from the AP would connect up. I found it and the little balls stud I thought was missing is there. So it looks like the rod from the linkage will have an end on it so that it will pop onto and over the ball on the stud.

Last edited:
Good to hear. Yes, the ball stud is part of the gas pedal assembly that is specific to AP equipped cars. It's an important part that many people don't realize is critical.

Yes, the linkage end that pops onto that ball stud should have a sheet metal retainer that slides over and retains the ball in linkage's socket. I can't see the picture clearly on the eBay link if the retainer is there or not, but it kind of looks like it is.

Good to hear. Yes, the ball stud is part of the gas pedal assembly that is specific to AP equipped cars. It's an important part that many people don't realize is critical.

Yes, the linkage end that pops onto that ball stud should have a sheet metal retainer that slides over and retains the ball in linkage's socket. I can't see the picture clearly on the eBay link if the retainer is there or not, but it kind of looks like it is.
Yeah me to ...it looks like something is there but I can't tell what it is. The seller is going to send a close up picture. If that retainer piece is not there or compromised, would Murray Park be the one to ask about finding another one?

I have this Rod from a "66 Imp.I parted out.

IMG_20240905_151247366.jpg

IMG_20240905_151251955.jpg

IMG_20240905_151344237.jpg

HEY that looks good. I would guess that the linkage for both the '65 and '66 would be the same ...but are they? It looks very much like yours has the same bends as the one I'm eye-ing on eBay, that is said to be out of a '65. Though the one on eBay appears to have bit more of a dramatic bend. But camera angles can make it difficult to know for sure. I would be an interested party for yours if I can be sure it's work in my '65. Do you know? What would you ask $ for the part?

OK thanks to garyh I now have the linkage, but where up on the AP would it attach to? I think I know, but there are 2 places on the rotating throttle piece where it might go. I attached a pic. I think the upper part of the linkage attaches to the lower hole of that throttle part ...not sure what the proper name is for that part, so please look at the pic and point out where I connect it. Also the linkage itself is in 2 pieces and can be lengthened or shortened. So if it's a little too short to reach the right connection point on the AP, my plan will be to adjust the linkage so that it will reach.

IMG_2139.JPG

That's interesting, I thought for sure it would go on the other end. The only other reference I had was the guy's on eBay I was looking at (seen in earlier post on this thread) ...he said his came off a '65 Imperial and it was shown connected on the other end than where yours is. I guess it must push up on the rod from the gas pedal and rotate against the spring forward ( away from the firewall ) on the AP an move it in a clockwise manor ...Is that right?

Back