1966 300 Tilt/ Telescope problem

Hellshound

Reaction score
Hi all I’m having an issue with the tilt part of the column. When it’s all the way up you can grab it and pull it down with out using the lever. Sounds like it’s stripping the pin or the mechanism. My question is how do you access this area? And is this repairable. Thanks

How hard are you pulling on it to get it to do that? Will the lever still work?

One night years ago, when my '77 Camaro was still a used car, I hit a dip a bit faster than suspected and the front suspension bottomed out. I found the steering wheel on top of my thighs, although it was adjusted higher before the dip. I asked if that was normal the next day at work. Seems it is with enough of an impact. Otherwise, the adjustment operates with all of its positions and such, with no binding or resistance.

This might be something that is normal, but nobody tries to find out that it can be done?

Just some experiences,
CBODY67

It should NOT move as far as I know. There is a spring loaded assembly that you release by pulling the tilt lever. When you position the wheel where you want it (tilt-wise), releasing the lever allows that assembly to catches on a series of cuts in a plate. The parts I believe are called - tilt spring (there are 2), housing (this has the cut plates as part of it), and 4 shoes for upper and lower tilt positions.

Disassembly required - wheel, guts, cover, more guts.

TILE TELE COLUMN.jpg

Back