1966 Dodge Monaco

What would be different with the power brake MC, vs the manual brake MC?
I'm not sure, but there's a master cylinder for manual brakes, power brakes, and power disc brakes. The manual and power drum cylinders look the same outside, I'm guessing something to do with proportioning inside is the difference. The imperial master cylinder is the same as all other models with power drum brakes. According to Rockauto, and Raybestos, they both have a 1" bore, beyond that, they offer no other information.
PXL_20240731_150514401.jpg

There's several pictures of the power master cylinder in the parts book, but no exploded view. However, there's an exploded view of the manual master cylinder.
PXL_20240731_150103491.jpg

What was the part number of the master cylinder you received?

Last edited:
Thanks for the note. My car doesn't have Power Brakes -- Manual Brakes with just the Master Cylinder.

Good 4 U! Manual brakes work very well on these. My '66 Newport came with the same exact setup you're blessed with. It's VERY EASY to use the distribution block for the front brakes, while installing a dual pot 1967-68 Bendix MC, then feeding the rear brake line from the MC. Go read my "Poor Man's Upgrade" on this. I ditched the booster for our '68 when we got it a couple yrs ago, and installed the manual pedal from our defunct '66.

I'm not sure, but there's a master cylinder for manual brakes, power brakes, and power disc brakes. The manual and power drum cylinders look the same outside, I'm guessing something to do with proportioning inside is the difference.
I believe that the only difference in the MC for manual to power is the little retainer on the rear that holds the piston in place.

Looks something like this. No boot like the manual does. (actually, looking at it after I posted, this is probably a bad example as the boot is sitting there too. I'm not gonna look for another pic as I'm sure you get it)

1722560132852.png

Regarding the power disc brakes, that MC had an extension on the top that made the capacity larger.

I believe that the only difference in the MC for manual to power is the little retainer on the rear that holds the piston in place.

Looks something like this. No boot like the manual does. (actually, looking at it after I posted, this is probably a bad example as the boot is sitting there too. I'm not gonna look for another pic as I'm sure you get it)

Regarding the power disc brakes, that MC had an extension on the top that made the capacity larger.

That's exactly right. Its the same MC, and one can get a good knockoff version with or without a booster, if one wishes. My knockoff still works very well.

Then why the different part numbers between the two? There's a difference we can't see, is my point. I'm going to look and see if I have an old one I can disassemble.
I really believe it's all about what retainer is included. If you look at repair kits, they are the same part number.

I also mentioned the disc brake MC and here's a good pic of one in the wild.

1722614260147.png

Possible collapsed soft hoses? Possible clogged brake pipes (lines)? I guess if fluid is flowing when the brakes are bled, then the lines and hoses should be OK. Hmmmm....this is a brain teaser.

Back