1966 Plymouth Fury 2door HT Both doors won't stay open

rl000999

Reaction score
Can someone show me what my bracket should look like......I'm probably missing at least a spring

PXL_20241022_150559769.jpg

Thanks for the help....(any chance of a clearer picture) ?????
It is pretty obvious from your picture that the spring is not there. I sent you a link to the repair kit you need. Here is another pic of mine showing the spring.

100_1763.JPG

I don't understand how this kit goes on ........any help....THX

View attachment 688231
I have not done this but I think you should be able to install the spring without removing the hinge. It looks to me like you could reach in and hook the spring into the eye and then stretch it out and over the end of the lever. You may not need to replace the roller and roll pin. Maybe someone who has performed this task can chime in.

Your roller and pin are missing. LOOK at your picture, the others have a pin in this hole

959FD5C9-2BE4-4E27-9CDE-6DAD5AF66368.jpeg

what should it look like ????
That hole should look like it has a Pin in that hole so you can't see through it and that roller will be on the pin under that hole. the Spring will be like it is on the picture. Can't get much more simple. Takes all of 15 minutes to put them in. No video's of it, just figure it out and have fun.

I looked at mine a little closer....Jengel is right. You are missing both the roller and the spring. At least it appears that way on your right door. (unless the roll pin is in there) If not you need the whole kit I referred you to. I would put the spring in first but not hook it on the end of the lever until you get the roller and pin installed in that hole Jengel circled. Then stretch the spring over the lever. If your left door is missing the roller and roll pin, you will need to do the same on that door. Should not have to remove the hinge to do it. Good Luck

I did this recently on my 65 300. It looks like yours is in a similar condition to what mine was, where the roll pin that held the rollers had sheared off on the inside. It looks like the remnant of the pin is still there (they are hollow--the roller spins on that hollow pin and if they aren't lubricated the pin wears and snaps under the tension of the spring and then the roller falls out). I drove the remnants of the pins out of mine with a punch but then the replacement pins that came with the kit were too small in diameter to fit tightly into the hole in the hinge body, so I had to go to the hardware store to get the right diameter pins. Maybe the pins supplied with the kit were made to fit inside the diameter of the remaining hollow pin bits, but that seems like a dodgy arrangement to me.

Sixpactogo is right about fitting the roller first and then stretching the spring over the lever. Maneuvering the roller into place was a real challenge because it is encased totally by the box-section of the hinge itself, so it is very fiddly and you have to just tickle it into place with your fingertips. Make sure you are in a calm mindset and be prepared to make multiple attempts. I had to use all my Jedi Mind Force to get it in place.

Then stretching the spring was the real nightmare. After trying to pretzel myself into position to actually get some leverage to pull on the spring, I finally fought through the red haze of fury that was descending over my vision, and had the presence of mind to just go ahead and make a tool to hook the spring and lever it into place. I took a large screwdriver and ground a notch on the side of the tip and then bent it at the appropriate point. Basically a tiny crowbar.

If you want I could probably send you this tool I made, because I sure don't ever plan on or want to go through doing that again! If my pain can help others avoid the misery and frustration of installing these springs I would be very happy. But I tell you, the luxury of finally having doors that stay open and not hit you in the leg every dang time or slam shut every time you turn your back was worth it!

(Last photo is after I finally got the jambs painted)

Screenshot 2024-10-26 at 8.42.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-26 at 8.42.21 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-26 at 8.37.54 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-26 at 9.15.11 AM.png

Go to your local birtbike shop and ask them for a "motorcycle exhaust spring tool" give them your $10 and thank me later.

Recently did mine with the kit mentioned above, pain in the butt, but can be done. The roll pins they supply are too small diameter, which sent me on the hunt for 1 3/4 inch correct size roll pins. Couldn't find 1 3/4" length anywhere. Bought the 2" and cut them down to 1 3/4" to fit.

Go to your local birtbike shop and ask them for a "motorcycle exhaust spring tool" give them your $10 and thank me later.
Those look like the spring hooks I used to make at a tooling job shop I worked at while in high school. They were "new guy" work for a typewriter company they contracted with. I had some that were a parting gift when I left, but I haven't seen them in years.

That was the first thing I tried. The problem with the motorcycle spring tool for this application is that unless you drill a hole in the inner wall of the fender into the foot area of the car you can't pull the spring to hook it over the lever. That's why I made the bent screwdriver so that it levered against the hinge itself to stretch the spring in the necessary direction.

Back