1966 TF727 “hemi” trans

HOT FURY

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a few 727’s, one of which comes back as one that came out of a 66 hemi car. Any idea if its worth anything special because it was behind a hemi? I’m looking to build one to back up my new stroker BB but may sell this trans if rare and worth something to someone looking.

IMG_6794.jpeg

Sell the hemi Trans to a restorer. Do you have the converter?

Might post that to the www.forBbodies only.com website, too. Or possibly to the National HEMI Owners Association website.

CBODY67

Its worth more..... there are people hunting specific application numbers.... the six pack cars too, as well as the hemis.

And they do have special internals unless someone has been in there messin.

A very sought after transmission. @Lefty71 is right, restorers seek out those transmissions. Too bad you weren't closer to me, I would take it.

One last opinion from the crowd. The 440 source stroker thats almost done being built will be around 600-650hp, any benefit building this one or will the regular BB 727 trans I have under the car already be able to be built strong enough to last behind the motor?

The Street HEMI TF might be stout enough as to hardware, but frictions probably would need some upgrading, plus a quality shift kit, for best results.

$500-2000 street value probably if you find the right guy.
Sell it and build a c body 727 with good parts inside

One last opinion from the crowd. The 440 source stroker thats almost done being built will be around 600-650hp, any benefit building this one or will the regular BB 727 trans I have under the car already be able to be built strong enough to last behind the motor?
With the mods necessary to accommodate that kind of HP. You would be better off to sell it to a restorer and build a much stronger 727 trans to suite your engine car combo.

With the mods necessary to accommodate that kind of HP. You would be better off to sell it to a restorer and build a much stronger 727 trans to suite your engine car combo.
That was my plan, I was going to drop this one off to get built since it was an extra one I had and wouldn't have any down time with the car but that was before I checked the numbers and realized what it was. The car I pulled it from had lots of fun surprises I discovered as I started parting it out after the body shop screwed up the body during my restoration.

Nothing particularly special about a Hemi spec trans other than the shift governor. The 4 pin planetaries are just extra weight spinning in the breeze because it's the splines in the aluminum hub that fails first so any regular 727 core with 3 pins can be built with good frictions and be as durable as a Hemi trans.

A&A sells a governor kit if you want the WOT Hemi auto shift points, around 5500 RPM IIRC.

Depending on what your intended application is, you might want to consider a billet front drum and a Super Sprag with the extra elements in it. A regular bolt in sprag is no stronger than the the stock press in one.

Do a YouTube search for 727 Explosions to see what can happen if you mistreat it and the sprag fails. It's strictly a product of engine rpm x low gear ratio or 2.45. 5000 rpm will spin the front drum up over 12,000, which can cause a very rapid unscheduled trans disassembly. A stone stock 2 barrel smogger is more than capable of doing that.

Kevin

? ... What does the 'H2538389' decode from? Looks like it is along the machined rail above the pan, yes? Is it stamped into the metal?, or raised like a casting number?
My recollection is that the factory did not stamp the VIN or partial VIN onto block or trans rails on any product until 1968. Maybe I'm wrong.

? ... What does the 'H2538389' decode from? Looks like it is along the machined rail above the pan, yes? Is it stamped into the metal?, or raised like a casting number?
My recollection is that the factory did not stamp the VIN or partial VIN onto block or trans rails on any product until 1968. Maybe I'm wrong.
https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

stamped into the driver side of the metal just above the pan, see link above for trans id cross reference

Application number...... not the VIN or anything particular to that exact vehicle otherwise.

Back