1967 Imperial leaf spring isolator

dge472

Reaction score
I want to replace the leaf springs on my 1967 Imperial, but the rubber isolator's are all cracked and split. Is there a source for new ones? Or good used? Got my springs from Espo, but they do not have a source for them. Any help appreciated. These are the ones by the shock plates.

Can you post a picture of what you're referring to?

Most of the parts to rebuild leaf springs are available from various vendors on eBay, however, they may be known by other terms.

The plastic pads (interliners), the fabric inner liners, the zinc liners, the spring pack clamps and rubber bits, the spring eye bushings, the spring centre bolt, the u-bolts, etc. etc. Just gotta search for it by the right name.

Also, most good spring shops will have aftermarket sources for most of these parts.

Learn about what parts make up leaf spring assemblies and then search for the parts on eBay. The factory parts catalogue is a big help for that. Once I knew the names of the parts, in a 5 minute search I found these hits:

There are these:
Reinforcing Plates

Although these are for A/B/E body cars, many of the actual parts are generic, and can be bought individually. This shows the plastic pads, zinc liners and clamps and rubbers I speak of:
Leaf spring rebuild package

Interliners
Interliners

Rubber pads for spring pack clamps
Rubber spring clamp pads

These?
IMG_7553.jpeg

Is that an Imp only rubber pad that is in the spring pack centre, and the centre bolt runs through it? Hard to tell from that photo.

Regardless, one could make something that works well, I would think.

Great pencil by the way!

So I did some more digging - and I owe you an apology - you are totally correct with the terminology for that part. Leaf Spring Isolator. Group 17-10-11.
1713851910513.png

There are two per pack - one above, one below, at least according to the 1967 parts catalogue. They are an Imperial only part, and from what I can ascertain, they also have a central bushing within them to deal with the centre bolt. So a total of 4 per vehicle.

The part number is 2403 456 I expect they're the same for 68, if not the same for 66 as well, since the cars are very similar. I haven't checked the parts books.

Where to find them? Who knows? No joy on PartsVoice. However, I would talk to the truck and large car spring people - I expect there are alternatives that would do the job.

Rummaging around on Google comes up with things like this:

Leaf Spring Isolator Pads by Energy Suspension

They even have the little bushings... so perhaps, not all is lost. I expect one could carefully drill out the centre hole if required, and install the bushings...

1713848807462.png

Nolathane also makes similar products:

1713848964131.png

Steele Rubber makes similar ones for Ford full size cars:

1964-1973 Ford Rear Leaf Spring Insulator | Steele Rubber Products

1713849174698.png

Whether these are the right size is a research question, but there is hope!

Last edited:
I have the complete rear axle with leaf spring assembly that I pulled from the 1966 convertible and it does not have these isolators. They are definitely 1967, 1968 and I would be willing to bet. Also used in 1969 and possibly later.

Presumably you could add these isolators to any C body to get similar road noise isolation and ride quality?

No worries Ross! Thanks for all the research and links, I appreciate that!

Presumably you could add these isolators to any C body to get similar road noise isolation and ride quality?
You would need to have the 2 metal parts called 'clamp'.
And potentially the centerpin hole in the axle's spring perches might need to be enlarged.
IIRC the mid-late 70s cars all used ISO-clamp, and the one car I fiddled with had large holes in the perches.

Back