1967 Newport progress

gjs29

Reaction score
I pulled the old stock rear shocks out of the car this week, they were completely shot as expected. Went ahead and replaced those with the KYB shocks, part #KG5512 Gas-A-Just shocks, which fit great and installed easily(got all new hardware from the local parts store, and cleaned up the lower threaded mount).

While I’ve got the car up on blocks I decided to investigate why the fuel gauge wasn’t working and found it was missing the little clamp on style ground strap. New one from Vans Auto on eBay, and it registered some needle movement, but wasn’t showing full. Went ahead and siphoned the tank (only took 5 almost full 5 gallon jugs ) then dropped it down to inspect. The j bolts were rusted on, so I just went ahead and cut them off. The whole tank is full of rust and debris, and the sending unit was rusted in the “low” position. Got a new sending unit and test fit the wiring and it registers perfectly! Waiting on some new straps, J-bolts, and tank to reinstall! All of those items I purchased from Vans Auto on eBay. Hopefully those will show up by my day off next Wednesday and I can get them installed. Waiting on some new Nicopp lines, too, so I can make new hard lines for the fuel. Just excited to show some progress. Thanks yall!

Also curious, for those of you that have installed a new gas tank, should I use a sealer on the inside of the tank before installing? What do yall think?

IMG_1171.jpeg

IMG_1172.jpeg

IMG_1173.jpeg

Also curious, for those of you that have installed a new gas tank, should I use a sealer on the inside of the tank before installing? What do yall think?
A pre-installation washout of the tank to get rid of the manufacturing residue is all you need.
Swish around some gasoline and then use that gasoline in the lawnmower.

A pre-installation washout of the tank to get rid of the manufacturing residue is all you need.
Swish around some gasoline and then use that gasoline in the lawnmower.
Thank you for the quick reply! Good call on using that gas for the mower, too!

Last place to use clean out gas is on small engines. Those carbs have tiny orifices, so don't do anything foolish with those things.

Use this gas for cleaning or fire starter.

Don't need anything done to a new tank.

Would love to see some pictures of your Newport and the history behind it if you know it!

Back