1968 318 freeze plugs or core plugs

stu’s68furyiiirat

Reaction score
Mine on my 1968 fury III was rusted in half goop on them and behind them I took the ones on side of block out today what should I use to clean them out some ppl say clr or rust remover what would you all recommend any help would be great Thanks in advance

Remove all the freeze plugs from the block then scrape the crud out of the water jackets with a coat hanger rinse it out with a garden hose. Rinse out the radiator and heater core so no antifreeze left in them. Install all new freeze plugs. Use thermo cure from evaporatorust. fill the cooling system according to the directions. Now run it in the car for several days and drain it out. now your cooling system will be very clean. I've done it on several engines, very good cleaning product.

Summit Racing SUM-TC001 Summit Racing™ EVAPO-RUST THERMOCURE | Summit Racing

Remove all the freeze plugs from the block then scrape the crud out of the water jackets with a coat hanger rinse it out with a garden hose. Rinse out the radiator and heater core so no antifreeze left in them. Install all new freeze plugs. Use thermo cure from evaporatorust. fill the cooling system according to the directions. Now run it in the car for several days and drain it out. now your cooling system will be very clean. I've done it on several engines, very good cleaning product.

Summit Racing SUM-TC001 Summit Racing™ EVAPO-RUST THERMOCURE | Summit Racing
I didn’t know they made that product it might be a game changer thanks

It is a game changer. Really works. But must follow directions and rinse out all traces of antifreeze. So draining the block and removing all the chunks is a must.

It will remove all the brown goo and rust stains from the system. Maximum 3 gallons of water per jug.

Don’t forget, there are 2 plugs behind the flexplate. It’s a pain to do them, but they are normally twice as bad as all the rest.
Travis..

Back