1968 Chrysler automatic headlight dimmer (never seen this before)

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
From this video:

1968 Chrysler Vehicle Line Up Sales Features - Dealer Promo Film

The cowl-mounted sensor for automatic headlight dimmer. Part of the safeguard sentinal lighting system.

headlight-sensor.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a Chrysler with this before? I've never seen that. I imagine they'd were options on the Imperials also?

Out of the 68 dealership data book.

Screenshot_20240905_233347_Firefox.jpg

The system is probably a GM-Guide system as GM had that option before other makes did AND sold more of them on Cadillacs and such in the 1960s. The light photocell receiver was usually on the instrument panel rather than on the outside cowl area.

This option was probably a little more extreme than a search-tune radio, but kind of in the same ultra-luxiry sort of option, as a search-tune radio was more acceptable as an option.

So, they did exist on Chryslers for many years. Probably only the larger dealers might have ordered them as the smaller dealers didn't want to deal with possible warranty issues or customer issues either. OR had a tech who had been to school on them!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Lincoln offered a similar option, too.

Just as CBODY67 wrote above and according to this thread, the system was called Autronic Eye and was manufactured by Guide (which was a division of GM from 1928 until 1998 and folded in 2007).

From 1969 on, if you ordered this option on a Chrysler or Imperial, the sensor had moved behind the grille.

Last edited:
Up to and including ‘67 it was dash mounted and certainly more common on Imperials.

Last edited:
My 66 Chrysler T&C wagon has the Sentinel System (still works perfectly), but not the Autronic Eye. Not sure if you could get both in a Chrysler in 66 - I think at that time it was still Imperial only for a 66 - perhaps by 67 or 68 they offered it in Chryslers.

Back