1969 300 Convertible Engine Work

PrestonUSA1

Reaction score
Hello CBO,

I have a 69 440 that needs TLC, should I get the original motor rebuild or toss in a crate engine. I am pretty sure that engine needs lead additive, can anyone confirm?

Best Regards,

Preston

This is a decision only you can make. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the car overall. If you are hot ridding it out, then go with the crate. If you are trying to keep it original, then rebuilding is in order. I am having my 68 440 rebuilt, but updating it with EFI and electronic ignition while keeping all the original parts in the event I sell it down the road.

Agreed.. if it’s a numbers matching engine I would say rebuild, but as mentioned above, it’s all about what your intentions are with the car. If you decide to go crate, and the 440 is OE, I would at least keep it for posterity should you ever sell and the new owner wants all OE.. IMO.

P.S.. we are a picture happy bunch. Get us some pictures of your car and the engine just to have a looksee..

Hello CBO,

I have a 69 440 that needs TLC, should I get the original motor rebuild or toss in a crate engine. I am pretty sure that engine needs lead additive, can anyone confirm?

Best Regards,

Preston

I would say that regardless of what yer gonna do with the car, you should have the original engine competently rebuilt. That way, you know exactly what parts went into it and the quality thereof. Rebuilt / crate engines vary widely, and you often don't know what you get.

And yes. . . We need pictures.

I would say that regardless of what yer gonna do with the car, you should have the original engine competently rebuilt. That way, you know exactly what parts went into it and the quality thereof. Rebuilt / crate engines vary widely, and you often don't know what you get.

^ this...is exactly what i did on my 69 300 vert. I was able to find a good rebuilder here in the denver area...talked it over with him about what cam, manifold etc. i was interested in. He offered some good advice and sourced the pistons, plus all other parts except the ones i just mentioned. When the rebuild was complete, he broke in the cam and did a dyno test so I would see performance characteristics.

total cost for his services $3600 + 800 for dyno. Plus cam, manifold, distributor and carb was about another $1300. Included was balancing and blueprinting the rebuild...

So for a total of around $5700 i had exactly what i spec'ed out, had it started and cam broken in and saw it perform! I think it was much better spent that buying a crate engine, dropping it in and assuming all the risk of startup (assuming the builder did not start it and break in the cam).

But you can get some nice looking crate engines for not a lot more $.

Dave

p.s. I used headers instead of high perf factory exhaust manifolds.

As for worrying about the lack of lead, a valve job should be included in a rebuild, so that problem (which isn't really a problem) will be taken care of.

In addition to which, anyone getting a crate engine should have it torn down and inspected/checked before installation. Like with many other parts mentioned on car forums, just because it's new doesn't mean its been manufactured/assembled competently, always best to check considering what an engine costs and whether they'll honor the guarantee should it fail.

Happy (eventual) motoring.

If you are not really familiar with it, you might not need a full rebuild. It's amazing what the right hands on it can do. But - operating under the assumption that you do have empirical evidence it's worn or broken - I would always prefer a rebuild at a local shop that I can drop in on and see the works. It may cost more, but it's worth it provided you have a shop "local" enough to do it without giving the same issues the crate engine might come with...

Back