NOT MINE 1972 Dodge Monaco Three-Row Station Wagon - $28,500 - Sidney, British Columbia, Canada

Most time the go-to aftermarket wheel is much better looking than standard wheel covers.
Many standard wheel covers are quite plain, true, but they're still more unique than a field of Cragar S/Ses :).

I will admit that, if I could not get whitewalls for any of my classics that "need" them, I would probably get aftermarket wheels; very few factory wheel covers look good with white letters, let alone blackwalls.

Many standard wheel covers are quite plain, true, but they're still more unique than a field of Cragar S/Ses :).

I will admit that, if I could not get whitewalls for any of my classics that "need" them, I would probably get aftermarket wheels; very few factory wheel covers look good with white letters, let alone blackwalls.
As I said, I'll have one set of wheels with the covers. I can count on one hand how many times they will be on the car.

I try to keep it fresh with the mags, I have Cragars GT's on one, SS's on another, and Torq Thrusts on the wagon. It's hard to find a set of old school 15's that aren't expensive. One other reason I go with mags, I can still get the size tires I want vs a 14" wheel that limits me to a very narrow range of tires. That and the proper wheel covers for most of my cars look like crap, IMO. The '66 500/Charger covers look good, but I'll never use them.

I don't have muscle cars, but any car can be a hot rod, and I have the 80's big and little with a rake, stuck in my head, so I had no issues going that route.

Last edited:
As I said, I'll have one set of wheels with the covers. I can count on one hand how many times they will be on the car.

I try to keep it fresh with the mags, I have Cragars GT's, on one, SS's on another, and Torq Thrusts on the wagon. It's hard to find a set of old school 15's that aren't expensive. One other reason I go with mags, I can still get the size tires I want vs a 14" wheel that limits me to a very narrow range of tires. That and the proper wheel covers for most of my cars look like crap, IMO. The '66 500/Charger covers look good, but I'll be er use them.

I don't have muscle cars, but any car can be a hot rod, and I have the 80's big and little with a rake, stuck in my head, so I had no issues going that route.

Great thoughts.

Amen brother. Going the high school kool route. A tasteful wheel in the era of a car can make or break it.
Heck, 40 year old custom wheels even make cars sitting for 30 years look cool.
IMG_20240703_204002835.jpg

Back