1972 Imperial Revival Thread

All buttoned up with the new bearings and windage tray.

I will be installing the new gauges tomorrow to see how the engine does. Then, a quick check for leaks and figure out what to do for exhaust gaskets.

8A633B78-2208-4AD3-A04B-A36B93504AB3.jpeg

Those exhaust gaskets look to be from the HP manifolds, just order for the reg manifold. Should be an easy part to find. Local exhaust shop will have.

Those exhaust gaskets look to be from the HP manifolds, just order for the reg manifold. Should be an easy part to find. Local exhaust shop will have.
There are no other gaskets available on RockAuto. I’m just using copper RTV for now to finish the job, but I will look for proper gaskets later.

I just need the car to get to Carlisle and back safely, anything else is a bonus.

The car has been successfully revived and has tragically died again. It looks like Carlisle will not be happening this year. The car only made it 30 more miles and it decided that it was going to try to blow itself up.

Now to tow it home and do an autopsy. Then save money to just completely restore the car.

Defender LTX P235/75R15
Sadly, Michelin recently discontinued the 235/75R15 size in the Defender LTX M/S line. That is a real bummer IMHO.

This said, my local independent tire shop (which I have used for quite a few sets of tires) had one last set of four with recent production dates at his warehouse, and I bought them for Betsy, my 1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon. They will be installed next Tuesday.

For interested folks, Discount Tires still has the tire in stock at some of its locations -- but not at all of them. NTB and Tire Rack are both out of stock locally and nationally, and they are not getting any more in that size. Interested folks should get them while they still can!

Last edited:
Michelin Defender LTX M/S outline white letter is still on their website as an improved version of the prior tire, they claim. About $203.00 USD. Tire Rack was mentioned as a seller, which also should include Discount Tire (as they are now under the same ownership).

Also a MIchelin X tire, too.

Just checked the Michelin website for 235/75R-15 sizes.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S outline white letter is still on their website as an improved version of the prior tire, they claim. About $203.00 USD. Tire Rack was mentioned as a seller, which also should include Discount Tire (as they are now under the same ownership).

Also a MIchelin X tire, too.

Just checked the Michelin website for 235/75R-15 sizes.
So did I. The info that I provided is correct -- the 15in tire size has been discontinued, and there is precious little stock left.

Try ordering: you can't for at-home delivery at NTB, TR or DT. Try calling: good luck, you'll be told at all three places that the tire has been discontinued and shows as such in their systems. Whatever is left, is on the shelves from prior deliveries. I was lucky to find a set of four.

So did I. The info that I provided is correct -- the 15in tire size has been discontinued, and there is precious little stock left.

Try ordering: you can't for at-home delivery at NTB, TR or DT. Try calling: good luck, you'll be told at all three places that the tire has been discontinued and shows as such in their systems. Whatever is left, is on the shelves from prior deliveries. I was lucky to find a set of four.
Thanks for that additional information. I was just reporting what was on their website, no more, no less.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back