1973 Fury 1 with 225 slant six engine

V8Pacer

Reaction score
I have a 1973 4 door Fury 1 with a slant six engine. Does anyone know how many 1973 Fury's came with a six cylinder? Thanks

Last edited:
73_Fury11.jpg

No slant six in 1973 Furys...

I didn't think they offered a /6 in a Fury in 73 either.

Can you post the first 6 digits of the VIN or better yet, a pic of the data plate? This is really interesting. I'm wondering if this is special order.

The car is in storage. I do have the data plate on my desk. I've been decoding it. Below is what I found.

Its a Taxi.....I think these are the codes for Taxi (PT41) which are on the plate
E25 Special Order 6 cyl H.D. 145 HP
F58 RR C/Member reinforcement welds
F41 ???
G25 I think this is for vent windows.

It has very very plain vinyl seats and door panels.
Rubber mat floor
A chrome bar type handle on right rear door.

So there are no production numbers for 1973 Fury engines?

I'll try to upload pictures of the data plate.

73 Fury data plate. There is a number 3 in the top right corner. Does anyone know what that stands for? Let me know if you can't read any of the numbers or letters.

73FuryPlateA.jpg

73 Fury data plate. There is a number 3 in the top right corner. Does anyone know what that stands for.

It's a typical plant inspection punch. It means someone did their job that day.

Nice find and thanks for sharing! I've been looking at and collecting fender tags for 10+ years. This is the first tag I have from a Taxi.

The /6 was standard in Dodge/Plymouth taxis.
G25 = floor thermal insulation.
F41 = roof wiring with hole; probably for "TAXI" sign.

If you find a broadcast sheet, I'd love to see a copy of it.

73_a_INSPECTION_STAMP.jpg

I didn't think they offered a /6 in a Fury in 73 either.

Can you post the first 6 digits of the VIN or better yet, a pic of the data plate? This is really interesting. I'm wondering if this is special order.

Nick posted pics of a 73 with a slant 6 in it...another taxi I believe.

Would a Fury taxi be more rare than a Satellite taxi? Are there many of these Mopar taxis out there? Is there much interest in a Mopar taxi like mine even though its a big Fury with a small / six?

It sounds an awful lot like you are hoping that you found something very valuable.
The value is in that it's one of the very small number of taxis that didnt go to the crusher after 300,000 miles.

I'm hoping its very valuable....No I'm to much of a realist to think that. Its not a Hemi Cuda, its a 4-door Fury. I mostly want to know how rare it is and are there any more out there.

I'm hoping its very valuable....No I'm to much of a realist to think that. Its not a Hemi Cuda, its a 4-door Fury. I mostly want to know how rare it is and are there any more out there.
There's absolutely no way to tell numbers. C bodies don't play the numbers game very well. What can be said is that it is a rare car with very few (if any) known others out there.

Oh, and do you have pictures of it?

Allpar:
In 1973, a variety of Plymouth and Dodge taxi packages were available (though it attempted to be a semi-luxury make, Dodge happily competed with Plymouth for police and taxi fleets.) For Dodge, the standard taxi engine was the slant six, the optional engine was the 318 V8; no other engines were available. All Dodge taxis came with a heavy duty automatic,dome lights switcheson all doors, electronic ignition, thick rubber bumper guards frontand rear, fan shroud with seven-blade fan, roof light wiring, heavy duty front and rear seats with heavy duty springs, heavy duty suspension, and durable vinyl trim without unnecessary seams. The 318 came with a heavy-duty radiator. The rear axle had a 2.94:1 ratio.

There's absolutely no way to tell numbers. C bodies don't play the numbers game very well. What can be said is that it is a rare car with very few (if any) known others out there.

Oh, and do you have pictures of it?

I don't have any pictures at this time. I may have time to take pictures this coming week. Will have more info on this car as well.

Would a Fury taxi be more rare than a Satellite taxi?
Are there many of these Mopar taxis out there?
Is there much interest in a Mopar taxi like mine even though its a big Fury with a small / six?

No way to know.
No. Like Stan said, the value is that it still exists.
More curiosity than interest since few of us have seen a 70's Mopar taxi since 1980. They were beat hard, used up and scrapped.

It would be a neat curiosity to have simply because taxis don't exist anymore. Value? Maybe $100 more than a comparable Fury I with a 318 just for the novelty factory. It would take an incredible labor of love to restore it as there is minimal value on the back end when it's done.

Does it look like this?

73_Taxi.jpg

Last edited:
No way to know.
No. Like Stan said, the value is that it still exists.
More curiosity than interest since few of us have seen a 70's Mopar taxi since 1980. They were beat hard, used up and scrapped.

It would be a neat curiosity to have simply because taxis don't exist anymore. Value? Maybe $100 more than a comparable Fury I with a 318 just for the novelty factory. It would take an incredible labor of love to restore it as there is minimal value on the back end when it's done.

Does it look like this?

View attachment 73025
Yes it does. My wheels aren't black, there white. White body white wheels. Funny thing is my Fury has a blue vinyl top which doesn't look factory. Vinyl is seamed down the center of the roof. I think they put the top on to cover the hole in the roof for the taxi light. I'm thinking this car was never put into service. Odometer reading is around 48,000 miles and judging from the interior it may be correct. Maybe it was sold to the public because the buyer backed out and took a loss on his deposit. Will have to look at it more closely.

You'd have to locate one of the few guys with the sales reports to know roughly how many were made. Not many of those guys out there

It sounds an awful lot like you are hoping that you found something very valuable.
The value is in that it's one of the very small number of taxis that didnt go to the crusher after 300,000 miles.

I can't remember seeing any old Mopar taxis. I don't know about valuable, but certainly novel.

Back