1973 Fury Special - as rare as hen's teeth

I know for sure that you could have 1970 Gran Coupes in a variety of colors and (non-paisley) vinyl roof shades. So customers interested in the mere added value of the equipment otherwise optinal could choose standard colors and standard interiors.

If that applies to the 1973 Spring Special/Gold Sticker Value cars, too, then the KT9 Dark Chestnut metallic exterior paint was not mandatory.

No, it’s the alternate paint option. Sahara Beige

View attachment 626685
Amazingly enough, whereas PM43K3D248325 (an A82 just bought by @Youngblood1989 and with the tag here) is KT9 Dark Chestnut metallic, PM43K3F226297 (your A82, tag here) is HT8 Chestnut metallic,-- not dark chestnut, seemingly in contradiction to the Mopar ad you posted above.

Interesting. @69CoronetRT

Amazingly enough, whereas PM43K3D248325 (an A82 just bought by @Youngblood1989 and with the tag here) is KT9 Dark Chestnut metallic, PM43K3F226297 (your A82, tag here) is HT8 Chestnut metallic,-- not dark chestnut, seemingly in contradiction to the Mopar ad you posted above.

Interesting. @69CoronetRT
73_ht8-down.jpeg

Both have the same J3L3 interior code yet carry different second door trim codes. HL4 vs HL2. The 2 being a lighter shade to go with a darker exterior code. Interesting.....

Last edited:
L means beige / tan interior. 3 is how dark the shade is, from 1 (almost white) to 9 (very dark brown).

J3 is a code outside the 1973 regular trims. 3 is an odd number, so it’s vinyl and cloth.

Lmao 4855 is not rare?
Possible "rare" if it might have been a "Spring Special" trim, rather than a full-production year trim. Possibly "rare" due to its look, with few being built as a result. Possibly "rare" as few dealers in a particular zone ordered it for stock vehicles, as other dealers in other sales zones might have ordered more.

Chrysler was not the only OEM to do "Spring Special" trims. In about 1974-75, Cadillac also did some "unusual" cloth/vinyl interiors, but did their "plaid" cloths in various interior colors, including light green and ORANGE. From the pictures I found several years ago, they were nicely done, obviously had a low production volume, and the people who bought them obviously liked them, just not the fancy brocade or velour fabrics used back then.

Whatever works,
CBODY67

True, I just don't think something they made in the thousands meets the definition of rare.

not found in large numbers and consequently of interest or value.
Less than 10,000 is rare, and anything less than that is just more so, at least to me.

to me, speaking for myself, i am more in the @LocuMob , @CBODY67 camp, possibly others, as I understand their comments anyway.

rare is "LOW" prduction numbers AND "HIGH" demand for a model/option combination. Those words may have analytical/rule of thumb definitions that are less subjective. I dont know. Its just what I use.

. "Low" production, of a vehicle a manufacturer made, to me, is like 10% or lower, in a given year. Could have turned out that way because the manufacturer designed an unattractive/low consumer interest car. Or, they only intended to make a few, as a strategy to market the car overall.

. "High" demand is MORE subjective, to me, in that what are present-day asking/transaction prices, X number of years since EOP, versus OTHER models of that same car (eg; plain jane fury vs a Sport Fury of same year). vs. what they sold for new (inflation adjusted lower, equal, or multiples higher). Do they come up for sale all the time, or not?

Other people use other means (seat of the pants, or linear regression models with AI) to decide what THEY think is "rare" based on values/production numbers/estimate of how many left, Ouija boards, whatever).

C'est la vie. :)

To me, this '73 Spring Special is nice, and LIKELY a lower production vs other 73 Furys. All things equal, there would be FEWER left today 50+ years later.

I have no experience growing up jonesin' over one, NOR any family members owning one. Only means I have little sentimental attachment to it.

WIW? to me, some premium over another '73 Fury in comparable condition. I happen to like the look, interior and all. BUT it is not on MY "gotta have one" list, so there's a limit to the premium I would pay.

To somebody else? "Priceless".

The "market" usally sorts out everybody's various motivations to enter vehicle transactions -- succesfful ones or not.

to me, speaking for myself, i am more in the @LocuMob , @CBODY67 camp, possibly others, as I understand their comments anyway.

rare is "LOW" prduction numbers AND "HIGH" demand for a model/option combination. Those words may have analytical/rule of thumb definitions that are less subjective. I dont know. Its just what I use.

. "Low" production, of a vehicle a manufacturer made, to me, is like 10% or lower, in a given year. Could have turned out that way because the manufacturer designed an unattractive/low consumer interest car. Or, they only intended to make a few, as a strategy to market the car overall.

. "High" demand is MORE subjective, to me, in that what are present-day asking/transaction prices, X number of years since EOP, versus OTHER models of that same car (eg; plain jane fury vs a Sport Fury of same year). vs. what they sold for new (inflation adjusted lower, equal, or multiples higher). Do they come up for sale all the time, or not?

Other people use other means (seat of the pants, or linear regression models with AI) to decide what THEY think is "rare" based on values/production numbers/estimate of how many left, Ouija boards, whatever).

C'est la vie. :)

To me, this '73 Spring Special is nice, and LIKELY a lower production vs other 73 Furys. All things equal, there would be FEWER left today 50+ years later.

I have no experience growing up jonesin' over one, NOR any family members owning one. Only means I have little sentimental attachment to it.

WIW? to me, some premium over another '73 Fury in comparable condition. I happen to like the look, interior and all. BUT it is not on MY "gotta have one" list, so there's a limit to the premium I would pay.

To somebody else? "Priceless".

The "market" usally sorts out everybody's various motivations to enter vehicle transactions -- succesfful ones or not.
Well said. Personal interest in a car can certainly change the value.

Back