1973 Polara 4dr hrtp VIP

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Being as how I am pretty much finished with the car now I thought I'd post pictures of it. Found it out in Lodi back in August 2010. My brother drove it home on a wing and a prayer since the master wasn't in the greatest shape.

First thing that I did with the car was put a new master in. Next the electronic ignition presented a lot of working issues. Got so sick of it that I got a Cardone rebuilt points distributor and put a Pertronix II in. Next up was the timing chain jumping a tooth. So out comes the front of the engine which means everything can be replaced. Then the ignition switch decided to act up and not work in the start position but only in the run position. Told it is a headache to get to so I bypassed it. Add a rebuilt 2bbl Holley and 6 months later she was running fairly well.

Tires were all replaced. A complete new exhaust out in. Transmission drained, adjusted, a shift kit and deep aluminum pan. This past 6 weeks saw the suspension redone, rear brake hardware replaced so the shoes could be adjusted and the front hubs pulled to repack bearings and replace seals. Mechanically I am pretty much done as the engine is doing well for 76,000 miles now. Retimed my way and definitely running smoother, and with more pick up, this afternoon. One day when the engine is pulled, long block, will probably get a stroker kit to move it up to 408 cu.in. What the heck!

Body wise the vinyl roof was toast. Surface rust at the pillar seams and along the typical rear channel. Four good little dents, in tough areas, plus countless door dings and paint chips. However, all the chrome, from bumpers to window trim were in great shape. Wheel mouldings look like typical mouldings but I did locate a new NOS pair for the front wheel openings at least. Add some NOS side marker lights and restore the name plates and pillar emblem. Over time I will crawl under the car and clean up the under side from oil pan back to rear axle due to a little grease here and there.

At that point it was time to start the prep work for paint in May 2012 and then paint near the end of August. Some color sanding/compounding/buffing and then ready to put back together. From there to a guy I know who handled the new vinyl and headliner. I removed the interior to clean (no rust but coins and fasteners), lay down insulation/sound mats, wash and redye the carpet, and clean the white vinyl.

Polara_after_001.jpg

Polara_after_002.jpg

Polara_after_003.jpg

Polara_after_004.jpg

Polara_after_005.jpg

Engine, trunk, and under where I need to remove the sway bar and cut the brackets to install the new bushings.

Polara_engine_comp_002.jpg

Polara_engine_comp_005.jpg

Polara_engine_comp_006.jpg

Polara_trunk_003.jpg

Polara_under_001.jpg

Underside of hood off to the side after painting since Chrysler was very stingy with the paint at the back, rear quarter and pillar emblem.

Polara_hood_009.jpg

Polara_under_002.jpg

Polara_after_009.jpg

Came out real great and cudos for doing such a clean work on version of a 4dr., they're typical of the times and are worth saving despite being not so popular with collectors.

Last edited:
yes, congratulations looks like great work.
I love the interieur !

I was asked about the build tag data

I know the A82 stands for Chrysler's Spring Special Package which is why I think the Spring Special is more correct that VIP. VIP seems to me would confuse those who associate it with the Plymouth Fury.

Polara_011.jpg

Last edited:
sB posted something on the drydock with information. If he could do that here in style that would be nice

Really nice, great work!

Was the 1973 Polara the only year and model that this option was available? Is that considered the Navajo edition or are their other plaid patterns?

Was the 1973 Polara the only year and model that this option was available? Is that considered the Navajo edition or are their other plaid patterns?

From what I have seen it was the only year for Dodge and Chrysler. Seems it was prompted by falling sales due to gas issues. It was also the last year for the Polara. Interestingly, I haven't seen a Plymouth version of the Spring Special or Navajo Edition.

I can't believe these Specials weren't more popular.....especially in 1969.

Back