1975 gran fury heater core removal?

DB GRAN FURY

Reaction score
Hi, i am new here, i am from Canada and i own my 1975 gran fury from about 13 years now, my heater core starts leaking inside the car, i just by-passed the hoses from the outside but now i want to fix that, i have searching and found nothing so close to mine (without a/c), seems to be a big job... do i have to remove the heater box from the car to access it?

1000008213[4622].jpg

Last edited:
I've done this recently to my '73 NYB. It was far more easy than i thougt (A/C car). Be aware, that the heater box is made from Asbest! I used a mask while working on it.

- I removed the glove compartmend and the heating lines from the box to the vents.
From under the dash and this opening i could loose all srews that hold the inner part of the heater box.

- Then i removed the heater box by pulling it down into the footwell carefully. After that i could take out my leaking heater core (and let the AC Core in place).
- I put the brand new heater core in (fitted 99% perfectly) with new sealings from Detroit Muscle Tech. (Thanks to @CBODY67; @ayilar and/or @Boydsdodge for the recommendation!).
- Put also new sealings on the heater box itself.
- Put everything in place again an reconnected the hoses. Works!

Here is my post with pictures of the sealings Hello from germany / 440 New Yorker

Here one of the old and new heater core: Hello from germany / 440 New Yorker

Greetings Manuel

Last edited:
Be aware, that the heater box is made from Asbest!
Assuming that means asbestos... The heater box is not made from asbestos. From what I've read, it's a RIM (reactive injection molding) plastic with fiber reinforcing.

Not good for you to breathe any dust, but no where near as bad as asbestos.

In this case I would be careful and think on myself:)
That is always the best way.

What's really bad in some heater boxes are mouse nests and their droppings. You don't want to inhale any of that. If I have a heater box apart, I vacuum it out first.

I've done this recently to my '73 NYB. It was far more easy than i thougt (A/C car). Be aware, that the heater box is made from Asbest! I used a mask while working on it.

- I removed the glove compartmend and the heating lines from the box to the vents.
From under the dash and this opening i could loose all srews that hold the inner part of the heater box.

- Then i removed the heater box by pulling it down into the footwell carefully. After that i could take out my leaking heater core (and let the AC Core in place).
- I put the brand new heater core in (fitted 99% perfectly) with new sealings from Detroit Muscle Tech. (Thanks to @CBODY67; @ayilar and/or @Boydsdodge for the recommendation!).
- Put also new sealings on the heater box itself.
- Put everything in place again an reconnected the hoses. Works!

Here is my post with pictures of the sealings Hello from germany / 440 New Yorker

Here one of the old and new heater core: Hello from germany / 440 New Yorker

Greetings Manuel
Thank's but '73 is a different body from '74-'77

you may be rjght, i don't know...
The best thing to do is buy a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car. That will give you a lot of insight to how to do the job.

I like these, 1975 Chrysler, Dodge, & Plymouth CD-ROM Repair Shop Manual Original as you can just print out the pages needed for the garage. I saw the other day that they are offering some manuals on a thumb drive too. You may want to call if you want that option.

If you buy originals, I believe there are two volumes, one body and one chassis. You'll want both... The CD will contain everything though.

I think it would be less trouble to just move to Florida, where we never need the heater. Yet, there are other issues here in Florida.

Back