1978 Wiper problem, not the usual one

triple red

Reaction score
The last time I drove my New Yorker the right wiper stopped working. Today I had time to take a look and the prone to failure Wiper Cam Bushing is still in place and OK. But the rod that connects both wipers is lose and was just laying around. How do I reconnect it to the wipers? Is it secured somehow?

This is the rod that connects the wipers. Someone must have been working on it and didn´t put it back together the right way. The rod must be secured somehow to the wipers. I think I am missing the Retainer Bushings. Would the Dorman 118-301 fit?

rod - Kopie.jpg

rod detail - Kopie.jpg

Last edited:
So this was OE dodge.. very pricey at the dealership. But FeeBay certainly has them.

When you get them, hit me back and I’ll tell ya how to install..

1723028326258.jpeg

Its important that you obtain them from Mopar. The after-market bushings are not molded with a polymeric material that are the same or work as well as the Mopar bushings. Its also a good plan to replace all of them at the same time, once you are in there, you do not want to go back a few months later to replace another failed one.

The dealer in Germany only had one original bushing left, so I had to buy some Dorman´s. In the picture the Dorman is on the left, the Mopar on the right. I put everything back together, but I have to replace the big 78 only bushing as well, it is brittle. I already contacted 78stregis regarding this part. I had to replace a part of the windshield washer system, the new part is black and not white but that doesn´t matter it fits perfectly.

Bushings.jpg

Linkage.jpg

T3.jpg

Last edited:
When reinstalling the bar (note its shaped like a "U" ) the two legs of the U point down. You can install it either way, but if you install it wrong it'll knock like hell with every swipe. If you're a dumby like me, you'll spend the afternoon getting stitches when the bar slices your hand open while trying to "feel" the noise. Yes, it's a true story. We all do dumb things.

When reinstalling the bar (note its shaped like a "U" ) the two legs of the U point down. You can install it either way, but if you install it wrong it'll knock like hell with every swipe. If you're a dumby like me, you'll spend the afternoon getting stitches when the bar slices your hand open while trying to "feel" the noise. Yes, it's a true story. We all do dumb things.
Doofus award nominee. ;^)

Glad you are ok, lived to tell and fixed the problem.

IMG_2020.jpeg

The first time I installed the bar I tried it upsidedown too. And the trim piece under the windshield sure left some marks on my arms.
Now the linkage can be moved by hand smoothly, but it still is not attached to the wipermotor because of the bad 78 only bushing. I hope @78stregis will soon reply to my PM I send him last week regarding this part.

Back