383 +30 anyone know how big a exhaust I can put in before I have to clearance the deck?

Cartel

Reaction score
I may get the 516 heads done with 1.74 exhaust, is it worth it to go bigger?
What can the bore take before it needs to be clearanced on the sides?

Will stealth heads fit a 383?

Also anyone know how much lift or valve size to start worrying about valve reliefs in the piston?

thanks

Last edited:
Yes stealth heads fit and work great. When our CDN dollar was closer to the US dollar it was an equal or better cost to having a machine shop rebuild a set to get what the Stealth heads come with out of the box, and that does not include any port or bowl work for increased flow. I have used 3 sets of Stealths on clients and my own wagon.
1720098146766.jpeg
1720098197486.jpeg
1720098247521.jpeg
1720098331435.jpeg

The largest exhaust valve was on some of the earlier-to-middle 1960s RB engines. BUT the main issue with "as large as I can go" valve sizing, intake or exhaust, is having those bigger valves NOT be shrouded by the combustion chamber walls and/or the cylinder bores.

It can be far better to have better-flowing ports to start with, even with a smaller valve size, rather than humongous valves themselves.

Unless the type of "competition" you plan to engage is requires a cast iron head, then an aftermarket aluminum head (of your choosing) can be a better option. Rather than focus exclusively on "top lift flow", look for heads which have better low-lift flow instead. Flow numbers which look good up top, might have ports which flow poorly at lower valve lifts on their way to those high numbers up top. Not unlike focusing only on 7000rpm horsepower while ignoring 3000rpm torque, where flow velocity AND volume make things happen at the lower rpm levels. So, be careful in looking at the flow figures and aftermarket dialogue.

THEN match the flow with great combustion chamber dynamics. Which can also relate to what the piston crown looks like.

THEN also consider rocker arm ratio. NOT to increase the valve lift, BUT to get the valve head off of the seat sooner, so port flow initiates sooner.

Search David Vizard's YouTube channel for explanations of these things AND others related to cyl head issues related to higher horsepower production. Some of his orientations might not be a
"trick of the week" sort of thing, but much more solid in their basis and results.

Remember, it's "the total package" rather than just "a combination of parts" that make great performing engines.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You could solve a whole lot of these issues with potential by starting out with a 400 (biggest stock bore)

You could solve a whole lot of these issues with potential by starting out with a 400 (biggest stock bore)
for sure I would even go 440 but theres not alot around here anymore.
I think I will go with the 516's with 1.74 and some head work.
The machine shop said I could go 500-510 lift without reliefs. The jury is still out on the heads though. for now the long block will be the main focus I guess

Throw a 1.80" exhaust valve in with new seats and be done. You are overthinking this. They went to the larger size exhaust valve in later year heads and they didn't require anything special.

The 413 bore size was the only one to have a issue with larger valves and that was the 1.88 exhaust.
Yes bigger bore will unshroud the valves better, but small block Chevrolets have been moving shitloads of air through EIIEEIIE valve arrangement with 4" bore just fine. So unless you are trying to make enough power to break you 383's block you have nothing to worry about. Valve to piston clearance with a hydraulic cam is usually not a issue, but with some fast ramp high lift modern profiles it's not bad to check, below .510 lift I'd be surprised if it's even close.

The 400 has a larger bore than a 440, by .020"

Let's not forget the main bearing webbing in the 400! I REALLY want to build mine for Gertrude. The 915 heads helped that 383 I run in her now, as do the .040 over flat top pistons built in to that engine by the old man who last built it before passing a decade or 2 ago. Still, for the 400, I might shop for some modern heads, when/if the $ comes.... If the 452s I got with it can be easily rehabilitated, I might just start with them, or try the Commando heads I have for the other 383.

You might order-up one of the Mopar Perf template kits, make sure your Dremel has the ball bearing end, get some ball-shaped cutters, and enjoy!

CBODY67

Throw a 1.80" exhaust valve in with new seats and be done. You are overthinking this. They went to the larger size exhaust valve in later year heads and they didn't require anything special.
Are you saying OEM heads got a 1.80 exhaust valve or do you just mean the 1.6 to 1.74 change?

All you have to do is search "516" by furious70 to get my view, which isn't good.
I've tried a few sets in different configs and have not been happy with them.
For a street car nothing beats a 906 dollar for dollar. They have an advantage over every OEM head at .300-400 lift.

You might order-up one of the Mopar Perf template kits, make sure your Dremel has the ball bearing end, get some ball-shaped cutters, and enjoy!

CBODY67
Good luck finding one of those template kits, last I knew they have been OOP for years.
If the scaled data were available, they could be 3D printed or CNC-routered pretty easily, though.

All you have to do is search "516" by furious70 to get my view, which isn't good.
I've tried a few sets in different configs and have not been happy with them.
For a street car nothing beats a 906 dollar for dollar. They have an advantage over every OEM head at .300-400 lift.
I read a guy on FBBO that had good luck with a set in some dyno testing he'd done, but they were worked on quite a bit IIRC.
Not worth the effort vs 906s.
UNLESS a guy wants crisp throttle response, that's where the small ports and valves shine. But yes, that's not the goal here.

Back