383 preventative maintenance (need help)

Godmonkey

Reaction score
I'm not a gear head by any means.

My newport has a confirmed mileage of 230k... with no deep maintenance being done beyond fluids and electrical.
I want to get in it and change the water pump and timing chain. Water pump was easy to research.
But what all do I need for a timing chain?

Another question I have is, is a 68 newport custom 383 a lead car? should I use lead additive in the fuel? at least till I get the heads rebuilt.

Thanks in advance,

Yes, its getting rebuilt. I set up a savings for this car and each paycheck automatically drops 100$ in it. But I need the car to run better in the mean time. I can afford a to do a few things to it now.

I wont be putting more then 5,000. I want to drive the car here and there during winter to keep it dry as dry and lubed up as I can my interior is rather decent.

I don't think the last couple owners used lead so i don't think I'll bother.

The only special tool you will need to replace the timing chain is a puller for the vibration damper. Other than that just a basic set of wrenches should get the job done. As for the lead additive I wouldn't worry about using it. Many people today are running these old cars on unleaded with no problem. I would recommend premium grade gas to prevent any spark knock which could damage your engine over a long period of time.

Back