413 tranny swap help

robndi43

Reaction score
I have an extremely low mileage '59 413 cu Golden Lion Imperial motor I want to swap into my 361 auto tranny equipped '61 Newport coupe. I also have a '62 Chrysler non letter 300 3 speed manual I want to swap in also.
My problem is mating the '62 tranny to the '59 motor because of crank flange difference issues. The easiest solution I can find is to change the crank on my '59 413 to a later year 413 or even later year 440. I've had a lot of conflicting info on what crank I can drop into my golden lion motor to make the tranny swap, without involving the expense of a machine shop, a success.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what crank to go in search of???

Welcome.
Can we presume that the the three speed bellhousing will bolt up to the '59 413?

I have been told it will. The problem is the change in the crank flange due to Chrysler changing the cast iron 727 in '61 to the more modern aluminum case 727 in '62. If I had a '61 3 speed manual it wouldn't be a problem.
In '61, the flange had studs that you put nuts on. In '62 the flange is both shorter and is threaded for bolts.
I'm in a learning stage here myself.
Thanks for any and all help. I learned to drive in a '61 Newport with manual tranny and trying to recreate my youth.

Back