'48 Crown Imp Limo - hyd. windows line leak and oil pressure line leak

thomasrc

Reaction score
I posted this here because the hydraulic system is in the engine bay and I did not see a better place to post, if this belongs elsewhere, my apologies - pls advise.

Scrubbed the internet, google, YouTube, etc looking for any info re the hydraulic system/lines for the windows. I had a small leak inside the drivers side rear door, but yesterday I now have a huge leak where the line comes through the door hinge from the body to inside the door.

I would greatly appreciate any information or resources. My Chrysler shop manual has nothing re the hydraulic system.

RE the oil pressure line, is it at the rear of the engine, on top next to the fire wall. The line is maybe 3-4 inches, slow dripping leak creating a small pool of oil on top of the engine. Seems like an old rubber hose, thinking best to replace with a high pressure metal hose - no info in the manual re this either.

Can provide photos if needed.

THANK YOU!

I would take the leaking power window line to a good hydraulic shop and have a new one fabricated, probably would want to do all of them while you are at it as that system was prone to leaks even when relatively new. You can probably have the other line fabricated on the engine as well if it is the one to the remote oil filter. If it is the oil gauge line, you can easily make one from a piece of copper tubing.

Dave

I would take the leaking power window line to a good hydraulic shop and have a new one fabricated, probably would want to do all of them while you are at it as that system was prone to leaks even when relatively new. You can probably have the other line fabricated on the engine as well if it is the one to the remote oil filter. If it is the oil gauge line, you can easily make one from a piece of copper tubing.

Dave
Thank you for the reply, Dave! Oil pressure line, agreed - simple. Re the windows, how are they routed? In the dorr pillar? Behind the fender? Did not pull the rear wheel yet to see if there is any access there. One posted you could maybe use plastic hose, don't think I'm interested - not well versed on this. Not sure where to start with this one line in question, not to mention the entire system. Thanks again for any information!!

You might want to contact www.imperialclub.com they have a lot of useful information. You can pose a query on the repair forum. I think, but I am not sure that there is a plate that runs along the inside floor of the car next to the rocker panel that is removed to access the lines to the door window regulators. The door regulators usually have a flex hose that is routed to the inside of the door pillar and then to the door.

Dave

The hydraulic system is very tough to deal with in those vehicles. Apparently the interior has to come out to access those lines for replacement, and from what I've heard, removing them wrecks the door panels in the process.

You might want to contact www.imperialclub.com they have a lot of useful information. You can pose a query on the repair forum. I think, but I am not sure that there is a plate that runs along the inside floor of the car next to the rocker panel that is removed to access the lines to the door window regulators. The door regulators usually have a flex hose that is routed to the inside of the door pillar and then to the door.

Dave
I've been clicking around seemingly endlessly at the forum, lots of great articles/tips, but oddly not seeing a way to post. Tried to send a message to admin, bounced back. There is a section re windows, not found one re hydraulic windows tho. The post after your says removing the door panels may destroy them.............

Dave
still no idea how to remove the leaking window line........seems so odd there is no info out there that I have found yet

No probs, good luck.
as mentioned, this is a new world for me - can you tell? lol......I thought maybe hydraulic windows might have been fairly common in this era of '48, etc. - from what I am learning, that is not the case, hydraulic windows were pretty rare, a number of people have told me they have never heard of this. In searching and searching for service manuals, YouTube, google, car clubs, etc etc I am not finding anything so far. I do not know where the lines run in the car and how to go about getting answers. Throwing it out there again..........anyone?

There is a friend of mine (Greg Biskey) in the WPC Club who has a 48 Town Sedan special order custom he just purchased. It was a Chrysler factory custom build for Fred Zeder a Chrysler executive at the time. The car is a beauty, and is a one-off.

The car is a survivor, and also needs hydraulic window repairs. Greg may have some information for you, but I do know that he was pretty stymied on how to proceed as well, and it was he who said that taking the door panels off may ruin them.

If anyone has extensive knowlege of these cars, it's Greg. I am going to try to hook you two up. His Facebook profile is: Greg Biskey

1727960062305.png

Last edited:
Back