62 Chrysler Battery

Reaction score
Found a 62 Chrysler Newport as a project. I'm a new backyard mechanic and was told the battery had to be "special" due to the charging system or I would need a converter. The car was running however I was told I couldn't use the key due to the voltage and would ground out the cable to start it. Any help is appreciated.

Thoughts on battery? Do I need a converter?

You need to find new people to talk to. Lol.

12v battery, whatever size fits the space. Can't comment on the other problem other than it sounds like the other electrical genius has caused some wiring problems.

Kevin

Yeah, what you were told about "special" is total nonsense.

Let me add that you should get the largest battery that will fit your tray. You should research which battery is correct for your car. The Internet will get you better answers that "whoever".

A very, very quick search for 62 Newport shows this:
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

I just bought a group 24 650 cold cranking amp battery for my '62 300. A group 27 would also fit the battery tray. Same goes for your Newport.

I just bought a group 24 650 cold cranking amp battery for my '62 300. A group 27 would also fit the battery tray. Same goes for your Newport.
I like having a big, fat Group 27 in my car.
IMG_1554.JPG

Group 27 in my car. The OP better be checking out the wiring in that car before doing anything else. Probably going to find a multi colored nest.

Thank you for your responses. I thought the comment was crazy.
I must say I appreciate this forum and site.
Thanks again.

Before you do anything else, download a copy of the '62 Chrysler FSM (Field Service Manual). This manual gives detailed instructions on most repairs. Download for free at www.mymopar.com and you will find FSMs in the Tools/Reference section from their home page. Most of the idiots working at AutoBone or CarCrap are clueless when it comes to cars that were built before they were born. If they have any advice, it will usually be wrong.

As far as a converter is concerned, there is no such thing needed to install a modern battery in a '62 Chrysler, lead acid battery technology is still the same as it was 100 years ago, the only major advance was the creation of sealed battery cases and some improvement in insulating materials between the battery plates. None of this changes how the battery works or how it is charged. Who ever told you you needed a converter is either an idiot or somebody trying to sell you parts, do not take any more advice from this person.

Dave

Group 24 and Group 27 batteries have been pretty common on Chryslers for decades, probably even farther back then your '62, I suspect (but have never researched it myself).

You might also look at www.jholst.net for pre-66 Chrysler parts and service information. The website is oriented toward the C300 and 300 Letter cars, but the parts books and some other items are not letter car specific.

I'll concur that you need to investigate the charging system wiring schematics.

When I was driving our '66 full time, I wanted the Group 27 in it to have the strongest battery, for general principles (Grp 27 came with the factory a/c option). But the modern Group 24 probably has more CCAs than the older Group 27s did, I suspect. Therefore, to get things going, it might be advisable to get a more inexpensive brand of Group 24 and go from there. Might initially save a few dollars that can be spent elsewhere? When you get things sorted out, then you can upgrade to a good Group 27 if desired.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The same battery as any C body uses is fine.
Not sure what is meant by converter, but maybe someone is referring to the power pack that resides in the left kick panel above the parking brake pedal that operates the instrument "lights". Actually, 62 Chryslers have these power packs to operate the electroluminiscent lights in the dash panel. The numerals glow a turquoise/green light.

Here is a short write up on sources to inquire with about any issues with dash lighting................

Having Early Early '60s Mopar Dashes Restored

The same battery as any C body uses is fine.
Not sure what is meant by converter, but maybe someone is referring to the power pack that resides in the left kick panel above the parking brake pedal that operates the instrument "lights". Actually, 62 Chryslers have these power packs to operate the electroluminiscent lights in the dash panel. The numerals glow a turquoise/green light.

Here is a short write up on sources to inquire with about any issues with dash lighting................

Having Early Early '60s Mopar Dashes Restored

After giving it some thought I suspect the person advising about a "converter" has never seen a battery without side terminals and was maybe referring to the lead posts you can buy that screw into those style batteries so you can connect that kind of cable to them.

Or not...

Kevin

Thank you for your responses. I thought the comment was crazy.
I must say I appreciate this forum and site.
Thanks again.
Howdy! All of the comments are correct, of course! I own a '57 300C, '61 300G, '68 300 and a '64 Imperial. These are big engines! Each one runs with a group 27 battery. The more options, the better you'll be. I have been using Antique Auto Battery for my classic batteries and couldn't be happier. That being the case, each one is connected to a Battery Tender and this device keeps them fresh. One of these batteries is 9+ years old. I wouldn/t be without them. The Tender maintains the voltage but doesn't overcharge like a trickle charger could.

Great site here! Lots of helpful folks...good luck but I would opt for the group 27. Good luck on that '62 yacht!

bob

Back