For Sale 65 Monaco. Your forgiveness please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5027021506.html

1965 Dodge Monaco Roadster One of a kind! - Built from ground up, 1996 Corvette LT1 engine, 6spd manual transmission, 3.91 gear in rear, disc brakes, new upholstery, am/fm cd, frenched antenna. Great show car..... Just remember there is no top!!!! Absolutely fun car to drive! Will be willing for $12,000 cash and trade.
00808_gTSDZPG7zie_600x450.jpg

The blackout bumpers and trim seriously detract from what looks like a fun car, GM powertrain not withstanding. Had this been built with a Mopar 6.1 HEMI and the o/d trans, THEN it might be a grabber. Cool idea, though.

Patrick, I'm sorry, but I have to butt heads on you on this one.
Nothing about it is a cool idea.
An irreversible tragedy.

Interesting. Different. I like the blacked out tail light area, but personally, I would have left the bumpers chrome or maybe even painted them red, since he seems to be going for a new car look. A Mopar powertrain would definitely be more appealing in that car. Other than that, I guess I like it. I don't hate it.

Patrick, I'm sorry, but I have to butt heads on you on this one.
Nothing about it is a cool idea.
An irreversible tragedy.
Easy big fella.
You never know what kind of rusted out hulk he started with.
I'm with Patrick, using Mopar components would have been nice.

With that drivetrain & gears, bet it is fun to drive...a bit optimistic on the asking price IMHO

When the crowning touch is a pair of cheap Chinese fuzzy dice, I can't expect the build quality to be any better.

reminds me of a Miata which is a tragedy upon it's self.

You can't "restore" them all...sometimes, you just have to do a car that people will either like a bunch, or hate a lot. I liken this somewhat to the '63 Thunderbird Roadster. The hard tonneau cover makes the proportions look right on this Dodge. I would've went for a more "stock" appearance with the right seats and console; more in an effort to see what Dodge "might have" built in '66. I'd also lower it about two to three inches all around.

I like the car; but again, I'd go back to chrome on the front and rear. It's trying to look too "new".

In the late '90s, there was a US airman stationed in Incirlik, Turkey that brought a '71 Imperial LeBaron four-door with him - a HUGE car in Turkey. He and a small shop near the base, cut the top off like this Polara, and built a Carson top for it - even had the little limo-style rear glass! This was a blue car with blue interior and a white Carson top. It was built so the guy could still use all four windows, too. It came out looking very cool! They also did a custom blue and white leather interior for it, based off the stock pattern. the original interior was pretty tatty, and the owner figured he'd go and do the whole car as a Custom. I had pics of that car until the '03 tornado. The workmanship in this Imperial was mind-blowing! A very nice car.

I would drive it no problem, I hate red but could have so much fun torturing that SBC till it breathes its last, use it to fill in the sink hole in the tupperware museum, then back to a proper Mopar drive line. Yes I would keep the 6 SPD.

You can't "restore" them all...sometimes, you just have to do a car that people will either like a bunch, or hate a lot

I agree with you. A lot of car enthusiasts are "purists", I'd venture to say, most are. Our cars a lot of times are a reflection of our personalities. I have "restored" 2 cars, my 68 Firebird, and my 66 Fury. My Firebird, I made every attempt to keep it as original as possible. Came out really nice and enjoyed the hell out of it. With my Fury, I wanted something more unique. The blackout on my car was more of a necessity then planned. The side trim and tail light chrome was in bad shape, so I did the black to hide the imperfections, as it turned out with the paint color, the contrast makes it very unique. I have had soooo many compliments on the scheme...I'm sure there have been just as many folks who saw it and think I forked it up...I have always gone by the school of, it's your car, your money, do it the way you want it. Just as in many other aspects of life, you will NEVER please everyone, so just please yourself.

Looks like the center console is made from cardboard and indoor/out door carpet.

I would drive it no problem, I hate red but could have so much fun torturing that SBC till it breathes its last, use it to fill in the sink hole in the tupperware museum, then back to a proper Mopar drive line. Yes I would keep the 6 SPD.

This reply actually made me laugh out loud.:laughing4:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back