65 New Yorker, first project car

The biggest issue right now is the fuel system. Currently not getting any gas. Have a family friend mechanic helping me look at the fuel line, fuel pump, and fuel filter in the upcoming weeks.

Good start! If problems seem to point towards the fuel pump itself, bear in mind that the camshaft driven pump push rod is prone to wear on these big blocks. Peeps have had issue with hardness on the replacements too. A good used original is the best bet if you should need one.

We'd love to see some photos of the car. 2-door? 4-door? Town Sedan? Color?

Here are some recent photos.

Don’t have hands to help get it back in the garage so side view is tough.

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4696.jpeg

IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4694.jpeg

IMG_4693.jpeg

IMG_4692.jpeg

Oooh, the rare "white" taillights! It looks like a really nice car. 4-door hardtop flavor!

Nice!! Looks like an easy project car. I hate rust....this car looks like it has none.

drtrubs
Great looking NYer. If the underside is as clean as the rest, what a find.
Only item I see missing is the upper 'A' arm splash shields. Those are available in the after-market.
Would great to see it a Carlisle this summer.
Omni

Thanks for all the advice. Been super helpful.

Recently a trustworthy mechanic who was helpful.

In working order I have replaced the fuel tank, fuel supply, fuel pump and carburetor to get it running great. Replaced the rear drums to only find the front stick too will likely put fresh ones on soon and replace the master cylinder and brake lines.

Runs great just can’t stop well.

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

Beautiful car. I like the white.

I would personally ditch that air cleaner for a better paper filter type.

Good Morning
Here is an alternate stock appearing air cleaner idea:
IMG_1758.JPG

One thing I figured out ages ago is that there are some things best left to others (who have done it before and KNOW what they are doing) than to do it myself. Brakes is one of them. I can do shocks and master cyl swaps, but not ball joints. In other words, it might be better for someone else to do the "safety related" items instead of doing them myself. That way, if something goes wrong, it's on them and not me. Ign points, plugs, wires, carburetors, no problem. I'd seen enough of them done and read all about them in several publications, so that I had a good working knowledge of what was going on and how it should end up. Didn't happen over-night, either.

I completely concur, keep the car reliably sheltered at all times. In prior times, I might have suggested getting a storage space in a quality facility, but now some of those are owned by investor grouips who want "passive income" and the prices have skyrocketed to close to $300.00/month for what cost $135.00/month several years ago. Price shop bigtime! This way, the car is sheltered in a locked space and protected. The way weather patterns have been changing of late, this might be a good option.

Tools? Youi might watch for estate sales or similar, hoping to find some good OLDER Craftsman tools at a good price. HFreight might have some good prices, but the quality can be lower in some cases, by observations. They do have some good stuff, though. They periodically have sales on jack stands and such. Get set-up to receive email notification of their sales and coupon events. Get a creeper, too, or scrounge some big pieces of cardboard to lay on. Might be a reason to buy a big screen tv? A drain pan you can carry around, too.

Ta,e care,
CBODY67
Your point of "disagreement" is?

Just curious,
CBODY67

drtrubs......I would not spend the money on the disc brake conversion. The big drums and shoes on the '65 NYer are MORE than adequate to stop the car. I have drums on my '63 Riviera, '67 Newport, and '65 NYer, and they work perfectly fine.
I have a 66 Newport and at a minimum would like to get a dual master cylinder. Any suggestions, the car has a single chamber, power drums.

Duplicate what is on the 1967 models, which were the frist ones with the dual reservoir master cyl. Same booster, bolt on, just need the plumbing items.

Hey Richard! It's me Richard (58) writing from Tampa. Here's what I did on my 65 New Yorker 3 years ago, and all is working perfectly fine these last 3 years, but I am sure someone will chime in to tell me I am wrong. I have done this conversion on two cars with no issues over multiple years. I am not telling you to do this fix; I am only telling you what I did.

I converted my 65 New Yorker 4-drums by installing a dual-pot master cylinder (I got mine off ebay, searched 67 New Yorker master cylinder), and then ordered a new distribution block (not proportioning valve) from Inline Tube up in Michigan. Inline Tube has a distribution block for this purpose, I THINK this is correct, but consult with Inline Tube. 1965-66 Mopar A B C-Body Dual-Reservoir Master Cylinder Distribution Block for Disc or Drum Brakes

The dual-pot master bolted right up to my 65 booster. I found a good spot on the front subframe (I basically imitated the setup on my 67 Newport) and bolted the distribution block at that spot. I then replaced all the brake lines (pipes) and plumbed the thing as it was done on my 67 Newport. Everything works perfectly, stops great, and now 3+ years later, no issues.

Finally, don't take my word for it. This is how I did it, and it works just fine, I have complete confidence in what I did. But my suggestions are only that.....suggestions.

Good Morning
Ditto Scoopy G.
Did the same thing to the '65 Newport (AKA Party Barge).
I bought my cylinder from Craig (Mobile Parts) I opted to have the original booster (Kelsey Hayes) rebuilt, however, no rebuilds the KH booster. I sourced a Midland from Murray Park and had that one rebuilt (Booster Dewey).
The master cylinder brake lines were left over from an A-body conversion done years ago. The distribution block was from a long departed '68 Monaco station wagon. It is a simple bolt-up up procedure. If your going to replace the booster then you have to get under the dash to unbolt the push rod. Don't forget to make sure the brake switch is still working when your done.
A very worth while upgrade when competing with 'modern' cars.
Good Luck and God Speed
Omni

Back