66 Newport Disc Brake Kit

Blackrifle

Reaction score
Looking to swap my fronts to a disc brake kit. Any specific recommendations as to what kits to look for and what to stay away from. Thanks!

Looking to swap my fronts to a disc brake kit. Any specific recommendations as to what kits to look for and what to stay away from. Thanks!
Use the Search function in the right hand corner above. Search "Disc Brake" and enter member 'Ross Wooldridge'. You will find many threads regarding disc brake upgrades using genuine Chrysler-engineered parts - instead of some janky conversion "kit." @Ross Wooldridge is our resident expert regarding disc brake upgrades and associated questions.

Thanks for the bolstering of my spirits, @Ripinator - however, it must be noted that I am only one of quite a few experts on the upgrade here on this site.

@Blackrifle - many of us here are of the opinion that the best route to take in a disc brake upgrade is to go with factory engineered systems. Most of the "kits" out there leave something to be desired, and some are downright under-engineered. Factory is best.

What you may not know is that any 70 - 73 C body with disc brakes will provide the majority of the parts required, and ALL will simply bolt in to your 66 Newport, and will work splendidly. There are a couple of minor challenges, but we can walk you through those.

Echoing what @Ripinator and @Ross Wooldridge have said, the best disc brake system with the least amount of problems has shown to be using Chrysler parts.

Quite frankly though, go through the drum brakes correctly and they work really well. Just saying...

I agree that drums work really well once adjusted, you just get fade under hard driving :D On my 67 LeBaron I wanted to get rid of the Budd calipers, they are great when they work, I just couldn't keep them from leaking. I went with AAJ brakes in Portland Oregon.
Roger is a Mopar guy and will help at all stages if needed. AAJ BRAKES Disc Brake Conversion Kits (503) 890-1469

Just remember that 1969 thru April 1972 used the smaller wheel bearings, than the newer ones for 1973. The calipers are the same, but you must use the rotors for the year spindles you get.

Back