'67 or '68 Newport....Which do you Prefer?

I actually don't care for the quarter extensions or the pointy front fenders. Just doesn't do anything for me. I know this is a NYer, but I like the accent panel between the taillights giving the appearance of full width lights. I also like the pointed grill tucked under the hood. Maybe my bias isn't a bias, but a preference.

Great responses!:icon_fU: Is it blasphemous to want the '68 nose on a '67?:realcrazy: If the red '67 is solid I may have a choice to make....can't keep both.:BangHead:

I'm not ashamed to say that in my ideal fantasy world, I'd choose a 68 67 NY Fast Top over any of them.

00a0a_hnsvnt0on1m_600x450-jpg.jpg

3fffb503cf06a24cf25bf9a9a5ad1ce8.jpg

Last edited:
I like both. Growing up,family members had both.
I chased a 67 Newport Custom 4dr with factory buckets,floor shift console.Did not get it after the family settled the estate after the owners death.
I have owned 68's for many years.
My main attraction to the 68's is the sidemarkers.
The dash,although similar to the 67,is busier with more padding.That does not bother me at all.
I love the tail section of any of the 68 Chrysler's.
But the 67's have easier access where the trunk lid opening is lower.
All 67's roofline/back window has a formal,rigid look to it.
The roofline/back windows of the "new of 1968" of the 4dr hardtop Newport is more attractive.Kinda a 4 door fast top. Despite being offered in the Plymouth and Dodge lines 67-68,it would be a one year only design on the Newport,Newport Custom,and 300 4dr hardtops.
Regardless,I just love the slab side of both years.

Last edited:
I like the side markers on the 68 but the chrome & bright stainless trim on the interior of the 67 is hard to beat. Anti glare laws went into effect for the 68 model year so chrome A-pillars, rear view mirrors, & any other bright work went to either a satin black or buffed aluminum. My buddy had a 67 NYer 4 door hardtop back in the day & that was a beautiful car, inside & out. So for nostalgia sake 67 gets my vote.

I like the side markers on the 68 but the chrome & bright stainless trim on the interior of the 67 is hard to beat. Anti glare laws went into effect for the 68 model year so chrome A-pillars, rear view mirrors, & any other bright work went to either a satin black or buffed aluminum. My buddy had a 67 NYer 4 door hardtop back in the day & that was a beautiful car, inside & out. So for nostalgia sake 67 gets my vote.
I'm learning about all these subtle differences tween the 67 & 68 that I never knew about.

I'm learning about all these subtle differences tween the 67 & 68 that I never knew about.

Those subtle differences is what makes the hobby what it is today.

One year only AND one model only trim for each respective car.
67 Newport Custom door panels typically were two tone color.1968 all one color.

The 67 AM/FM thumbwheel radio looks more attractive and the dash looks better with it compared to the 1968 knob style Delco unit.

The color of the paint of the dash is also different between 67 and 68 and again between trim models.

1967 2 and 4 door hardtops had the rear ventilation system--a one year only feature.

The style of the front bucket seats are different as well.
67 (and 66) had the attractive chrome seat backs.1968 saw color coded plastic.

Horn buttons were mentioned here earlier.To add to that,67 Newports had the written script "CHRYSLER" in them or a red sunburst crest. The padded Newport horn buttons had the Windsor castle medallion.
I can go on,but y'all get the point,LOL!!

Last edited:
The 68 Newport front fenders are one piece (no fender extension) and do not interchange with any 67s models or other 68 models ( thank you azblackhemi)

67 Newport front parking lenses came both amber/clear bulb or clear/amber bulb.

67 Newport Custom trim outlined the belt line and is more attractive compared to the added-on, busy trim of the 68 Newport Custom.
Funny I said that since I have invested a lot of time into my 68,but not a deal breaker for me,LOL
As for taillights, I always liked the 67 Newport's--even more so compared to the busy 67 NY'ers (Sorry Stan,lol) and just weird 67 300's throwback holler to the 62 "plucked chicken" design.
For 68,love them all but the base Newport taillight trim being too plain,IMHO. The Newport Custom taillight trim is attractive with the four openings and are an easy swap to upgrade the "plain" ones from.

The 67 AM/FM thumbwheel radio looks more attractive and the dash looks better with it compared to the 1968 knob style Delco unit.
Lea, all the 68s I have seen had the thumbwheel radio.
I googled and I did see the rotary dial radio on some 68s.
Was it model specific?

Oh! Rocker panel mouldings (base Newport) are different tween the 67 and 68

Last edited:
Any idea what criteria would make the difference?
It was a Federal requirement to go to amber lenses in the U.S starting in the 68 model year.Not sure the exact date,but Stan may be closer.
Since it was announced ahead of time,some late build 67's got the amber lenses. Most 67's got the clear lenses.
Over the years,I had seen 68 300 amber lenses installed by owners in 67 Newports and 300's.

FYI,vehicles built for EXPORT (overseas,etc) were exempt from the amber lenses requirement.
South Africa's RHD built 68 Monaco/Polara's had white lenses.(cars were preassembled in Windsor,Ontario along with C bodies destined to Austrailia)
Up to 1973 some Mopars built for EXPORT had clear lenses (i.e 70 Coronet,73 Satellite).

Last edited:
Lea, all the 68s I have seen had the thumbwheel radio.
I googled and I did see the rotary dial radio on some 68s.
Was it model specific?
Not model specific,just an expensive option.
Both the base AM only-and AM/8 TRACK 68 radios are thumbwheel.
Order AM/FM STEREO in 68,you got knobs.

I should expand that the AM/FM mono thumbwheel is 1967 ONLY. Rare as hen's teeth,and I am installing one in my 68. (got a spare,too,lol).

AM/FM Searchtune radio with knobs was an option in '67. Rear speaker reverberator as well.

John

Back