68 Newport wheel ideas wanted

How about steel wheels with trim rings and either RWL or WSW tires? I think those would give an individual but classic look.

I tried the trim rings on my daily driver, very noisy and creaky

First there were solid chrome wheels. Trim rings came later, possibly to save the cost of chrome on the outer rim section? At the time, I thought the rings looked good. BUT years later, when I got my '70 DH43, with W23s on it, THEN the issue of center caps and trim rings took on a different orientation. Some rings didn't get put on squarely, which made them look wobbly. The inside-access bolts holding the center caps (the Chrysler OEM-spec items) could become loose or have "weakened" threads, which made them rattle when driving at slow speeds. Or a trim ring might be put on with a small rock or something behind it on the rim that would put a dimple into the ring's outer surface (very visible).

I realize that the trim ring or no trim ring is model-year-specific, but I tend to like the clean appearance of the non-trim ring wheels (solid chrome or similar). The OTHER consideration is the total cost/wheel of the solid chrome Magnum 500s and the trim-ring Magnum 500s. Mopar versions and not the similar Ford or AMC versions.

"Creaky" is the result of wheel rim flex. Our '66 Newport had that from its earlier life. Not really noisy, but the wheel cover would turn on the wheel, to the extent that the valve stem would lay over almost to the point of breaking. The tabs on the rim and similar "stops" on the inner edge of the wheel cover didn't work. End result was that I would remove the valve stem extension and then rotate the wheel cover past where the valve stem was, then reinstall the cover in that position. The valve stem existed in a covered location, but took some extra labor ops to remove the wheel cover to check tire pressure.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

First there were solid chrome wheels. Trim rings came later, possibly to save the cost of chrome on the outer rim section? At the time, I thought the rings looked good. BUT years later, when I got my '70 DH43, with W23s on it, THEN the issue of center caps and trim rings took on a different orientation. Some rings didn't get put on squarely, which made them look wobbly. The inside-access bolts holding the center caps (the Chrysler OEM-spec items) could become loose or have "weakened" threads, which made them rattle when driving at slow speeds. Or a trim ring might be put on with a small rock or something behind it on the rim that would put a dimple into the ring's outer surface (very visible).

I realize that the trim ring or no trim ring is model-year-specific, but I tend to like the clean appearance of the non-trim ring wheels (solid chrome or similar). The OTHER consideration is the total cost/wheel of the solid chrome Magnum 500s and the trim-ring Magnum 500s. Mopar versions and not the similar Ford or AMC versions.

"Creaky" is the result of wheel rim flex. Our '66 Newport had that from its earlier life. Not really noisy, but the wheel cover would turn on the wheel, to the extent that the valve stem would lay over almost to the point of breaking. The tabs on the rim and similar "stops" on the inner edge of the wheel cover didn't work. End result was that I would remove the valve stem extension and then rotate the wheel cover past where the valve stem was, then reinstall the cover in that position. The valve stem existed in a covered location, but took some extra labor ops to remove the wheel cover to check tire pressure.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
1980's GM rims & trim rings were brutal for flew creaking and then flying off...
the faux GM wire wheel covers were really bad as well...

When the 1990s Caprices got to be the darlings of the law enforcement people, they came with a plastic wheel cover. Most of them flew off, for one reason or another. Enough that a TSB came out to replace them with the fancier stainless steel wheel covers, under warranty. Quite amusing.

The GM wire wheel covers had a concealed lock nut (or bolt, depending upon model year). Five different "locks", by color. BUT a common 3/8" nut or bolt would fit the adapter underneath and work just fine. Somewhat amusing, back then, that a simple change would do the same thing as a special lock nut or bolt.

CBODY67

When the 1990s Caprices got to be the darlings of the law enforcement people, they came with a plastic wheel cover. Most of them flew off, for one reason or another. Enough that a TSB came out to replace them with the fancier stainless steel wheel covers, under warranty. Quite amusing.

The GM wire wheel covers had a concealed lock nut (or bolt, depending upon model year). Five different "locks", by color. BUT a common 3/8" nut or bolt would fit the adapter underneath and work just fine. Somewhat amusing, back then, that a simple change would do the same thing as a special lock nut or bolt.

CBODY67
I remember that those wire covers if they came off could do some serious damage to oncoming cars.

I used that socket trick many times myself :thumbsup:

A friend at the time would take his off and stick them in the dishwasher when his wife wasn't around to clean them LOL!!!

My dad had a chevy wagon with these wheel covers
s-l225.jpg

Every few weeks / months we would see one fly off into another direction, and he always went back to get the lost wheel cover...

Will those wheels accept the stock Magnum 500 style center caps? The ones in the pics look shorter like ford versions.
I am not sure as I did not try. I kept my original Magnum 500s, but I am fine with the wheels as they are. Also, these are the original wheels and not Ford versions.

I enjoyed going through the wheel survey. Thanks for posting that!
Do they have an exhaust or carb/intake manifold surveys?

cbarge,

Are you running 15x7 500's all around?
Same size tires all around 235/70/15?
Did you pick them up at Summit?
What center cap you using?

Steven
yes 15X7 all around and same size tire all around.
Yes I ordered them from Summit including the center caps.
They look pretty but are difficult to balance.

Back