68 Polara Dash Lights

GMPolara

Reaction score
I just changed the old bulbs to some new led bulbs in my gauge cluster. I did it because it barely lit up with the old bulbs in it. Now the new LEDs mostly don't light up at all. I got one of them to light up just a little bit. I'm thinking that the dimmer switch Isn't sending enough voltage. On top of this the switches action is poor. Is there a way to bypass it? Or should I just by a new one. They're a bit pricey. That's my only hesitancy.

@Devinism
One of our own specializes in rebuilding of these panel dimmers(among other things) if that is what’s required of yours.

I rebuilt my dimmer switch for the same reason and it has been working well although I only have a hundred or so miles on the car with the lights on.

I cleaned all of the terminals, the spring inside, and the little metal clip on the arm that runs along the spring. I used Gorilla glue to put the spring back in place and keep it there. Some folks here had concerns that heat might cause the glue to fail, and it might, but I don't think it gets that hot unless there is a short somewhere. The glue is rated up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

My dash lights are plenty bright now, especially after replacing with new, standard bulbs. And it dims properly whereas before it would either be ON if I found the right spot, or off completely.

Attached is what mine looked like when I removed it. The spring was detached at one end so it wouldn't stay in its home.

20240126_153500 (1).jpg
20240126_153452.jpg

I cleaned it up again and this time filed the contact areas, like MGM86. Now it's working fine. Thx all! Here's some dirty pictures

20240408_180840.jpg

20240408_180838.jpg

Back