70 Polara Custom Rescue

Where did you get yours?
Rockauto
1719588138692.png

I didn't pay attention but the part number was CR20B on some of the packaging.
That's a Spectra part number.

Very few of these vendors actually make their own stuff. It's even gotten to where a lot of the vendors drop ship from the manufacturer and not out of their own stock.

As many know, I recently acquired an FK5 70 Polara Custom 2dr hardtop. 383-2 but what made it unique to me besides being a good color, was the fact it's an original Superlite car.

Photos from the FB ad :

View attachment 668348View attachment 668349View attachment 668350

I had the car shipped from Spokane to Rockford and started formulating a plan for resurrection of this neat old car with parts I have already, or know about.

View attachment 668351View attachment 668352

Once it arrived I had several leaky tires and I wanted a solid set of 4 for when I have it running in the not so distant future.

View attachment 668353

I held onto the H724 Hankooks from the Servpros old road wheels for a rainy day. I came across a set of 15x6 Magnum 500s I've wanted to try for a while locally on FB from a friend. I couldn't find any markings on the wheels I imagine they are aftermarket repops.

View attachment 668354

These will work for the time being, and I like the look! Especially with the white walls out, a first for me, maybe I am growing up some? Probably not. Special thanks to @sixpkrt for providing me with a missing center cap to complete these wheels.

View attachment 668355
Wow! What a nice looking car.

Excellent progress so far in re-awakening this one.

Is that sealant or tape on the threaded fitting? If so, you shouldn't need that, it's an SAE 45° flare fitting, and should seal fine w/o sealer.
Same flared fitting style as the brake tubing.

Yes I believe it's a stock replacement. Carter M3672. I've been searching for one with the proper size outlet threads, I tried this one and it's perfect.

View attachment 668416

Excellent progress so far in re-awakening this one.

Is that sealant or tape on the threaded fitting? If so, you shouldn't need that, it's an SAE 45° flare fitting, and should seal fine w/o sealer.
Same flared fitting style as the brake tubing.
Shouldn't need it. Doesn't hurt to have it though. And it's rated for fuel.

Once I swapped the wheels out and had a nice roller, i rolled the car inside and checked for signs of life. The only thing I've so far made function inside the car is the ignition.

I turned the engine over by hand a few times to make sure I didn't feel any rough or sticky spots. I popped a battery in, then jumped the relay and cranked it over a few times to start moving oil throughout the engine.

Confident the engine was free, I cleaned up the points and poured some fuel down the carb and the car fired quickly and died. With the bit of good news, I unhooked the line to the fuel pump from the tank, and hooked up to a gas can. I filled the float bowls and the car ran for about 30 seconds, making the normal clatter from sitting, and died. I refilled the bowl and same result. I kept it running with carb cleaner for about a minute. Lifters were still ticking but pumped up and quieted down. The engine runs very well as is. I suspect a new fuel pump and fuel system SHOULD do the trick as well as the normal tune up/fluid changes.

That's where we are currently. I've removed the trailer hitch and that gave me access to remove the old fuel tank that was about 1/2 full of 10+ year old fuel. I ordered a new tank/straps/sender from Vans and got it installed in the car last night. New sender was installed with the original lock-ring after some wire brushing.

View attachment 668359View attachment 668360View attachment 668361View attachment 668362View attachment 668363

The new fuel pump should be arriving this afternoon and I will have the rest of the fuel system wrapped up.
Awesome find!! Thanks for sharing!

Back