For Sale '71 Fury GT: Real or clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the hemmings article is wrong.
The A52 code was only used in 1970 for the SFGT
All 1971 SFGT have their own VIN (PP23U)
There was only the 440 available not a 340 (it was never available in any C-body).
The roof version wasn't available on a SFGT

To me it is all bullshit unless I see prove in form of a factory VIN and Fender Tag

Not a real GT which is immediately obvious from the side picture showing the roof line. Would be nice if someone could go in and take a picture of the fender tag then we could lay this one to rest.

In reading the article again, I think the author embellished it a little. The owner said it was ordered with the GT suspension, which I assume is really just the HD suspension package. Road wheels was just another check box and I'm sure the dealership was happy to put the stripes on it. They did that stuff back then...

I kind of like the car, although I would like it better without the stripes that don't belong on it. $25K is a little rich, but I bet you couldn't build it for that.

well, looks like we are dealing with an original 318 car. Shall I tell him, or just thank him and let him figure it out?

Hello Dale,

The VIN on this car is PH29G1D103210, we were told that this is a original Sports Fury GT by the owner but have not verified. I have driven this car and can say it runs very strong and is in great condition, please feel free to give me a call at the numbers below if I can answer any questions for you,

Tom Newman | Sales Associate

Gateway Classic Cars | Scottsdale

tom.newman@GatewayClassicCars.com

Office (623) 796-8534

Mobie (602) 796-8534

well, looks like we are dealing with an original 318 car. Shall I tell him, or just thank him and let him figure it out?

Hello Dale,

The VIN on this car is PH29G1D103210, we were told that this is a original Sports Fury GT by the owner but have not verified. I have driven this car and can say it runs very strong and is in great condition, please feel free to give me a call at the numbers below if I can answer any questions for you,

Office (623) 796-8534

Mobie (602) 796-8534
I'd tell him and tell him exactly how the VIN has the engine code in it.... and that the body style and engine means it's not a SFGT. You may save someone from loosing some money... Or if they show up here after they bought, you can have a clear conscience that you tried.

This car is a perfect example of "builders remorse", or "buyers remorse".

After adding up the build costs of a "hot rod/modified" car, a story was created solely to help sell the car. This was done by the "builder" of the car, or the next owner when they realized what they actually had.

Hemings Motor News is to blame and shares responsibility for printing and spreading false information and overt lies about this car. Hemmings should have done due diligence while researching the car they are writing about; it's their job, it's what they do. Huge failure by the writer and editor; completely unprofessional in my opinion.

Look what has happened now..another "storied" car on the market with a fake history and no one is responsible for it.

That causes me to pause as much as the missing fender tag.

https://vmp.ebay.com/ebay/viewAllPhotos.aspx?smid=6452137

Last edited:
Hemmings should have done due diligence while researching the car they are writing about; it's their job, it's what they do. Huge failure by the writer and editor; completely unprofessional in my opinion.
I completely agree. Maybe they just thought they could get away with it because no one including 95% of Mopar guys don't know their *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to C Bodies.

here's a new one for sale ads...instead of a garden hose, it's a detail cart. :rolleyes:

GCCSCT20-19.jpg

ok, guys, how did I do?

Thanks, Tom. However the big difference is that it’s not a “GT” if it was it would have come standard with the 440 and much more collectible than a “regular” Fury GT. Not to run down the car, it’s a great car, but just wanted to let you know for your own information. Thanks for being forthcoming with the VIN info, and good luck with the car.

Dale

From: Tom Newman [mailto:tom.newman@gatewayclassiccars.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:02 PM
To: Sauter, Dale <SAUTERD@ecu.edu>
Subject: RE: 1971 Sports Fury

Hi Dale,

Attached is a copy of the VIN decode sheet from www.decodethis.com showing this as a original Sports Fury with a 318 CID , the 408 Stroker is a nice upgrade and makes more power than any engine Plymouth ever put in this car!

Office (623) 796-8534

Mobie (602) 796-8534

Sport Fury VIN decode.JPG

This car is a perfect example of "builders remorse", or "buyers remorse".

After adding up the build costs of a "hot rod/modified" car, a story was created solely to help sell the car. This was done by the "builder" of the car, or the next owner when they realized what they actually had.

Hemings Motor News is to blame and shares responsibility for printing and spreading false information and overt lies about this car. Hemmings should have done due diligence while researching the car they are writing about; it's their job, it's what they do. Huge failure by the writer and editor; completely unprofessional in my opinion.

Look what has happened now..another "storied" car on the market with a fake history and no one is responsible for it.

That causes me to pause as much as the missing fender tag.

https://vmp.ebay.com/ebay/viewAllPhotos.aspx?smid=6452137

I think the majority of automotive writers are willing to write anything to make a buck. I've met a few of them over the years and that was always my impression.

With this type of Stellar feedback I would not even for an instant place a bid on anything his is trying to pawn off to anyone.

Seller said whatever it took to sell. Description was inaccurate lots of issues Buyer:
o***j ( 66
iconBlueStar_25x25.gif
)

• Reply by gateway-classic-cars (Jun-06-17 09:40):
    We recommend all buyers inspect the vehicles before purchase.
1973 Plymouth Road Runner Tribute (#162247469804)
US $39,995.00
Best Offer Price was Accepted
iconBubbleHelp.gif

Car is not the color advertised among many other problems. Buyer:
t***g ( 213
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)

Car was advertised as Silver and it is Silver as the pictures and videos show.
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG (#162310203325)
US $18,995.00
iconBubbleHelp.gif

Ad said not be scared to drive it. Broke push rod and water leak in oil 120mile Buyer:
t***l ( 254
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)

1955 Chevrolet Other Pickups -- (#162249395436)
US $43,995.00
iconBubbleHelp.gif

The seller offered a price and doesn't want to sell on that price ! Buyer:
a***m ( 1 )

• Reply by gateway-classic-cars (Jun-06-17 09:41):
    We will sell at any price we agree to. I am not sure what exactly this is about.
1965 AC Cobra Replica (#162422708034)
US $63,000.00
iconBubbleHelp.gif

No paper work 2 weeks. We need to get insurance ! Buyer:
w***t ( 114
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)

• Reply by gateway-classic-cars (Jun-06-17 09:42):
    Dealers have 30 days to deliver final paperwork, we never miss that deadline.
1994 Chevrolet Corvette -- (#162419095312)
US $12,995.00
iconBubbleHelp.gif

Never deal with unprofessional people like this! Requested cancel sale, SAID NO! Buyer:
s***e ( 536
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)

An offer through Ebay is an agreement to purchase. Please read the bylaws.
1972 Pontiac Bonneville Hearse (#162300741931)
US $13,995.00
iconBubbleHelp.gif

LEMON! Bad Electrical System, Bad Stereo, 3 Flats & Rock chips Buyer:
o***8 ( 315
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)

1996 Chevrolet Corvette -- (#162249028388)
US $14,995.00
iconBubbleHelp.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back