72' imperial 440 to 71' HP spec

Whaaaaat? Someone has been holding out! Let's see some more!

I am the holdout on this particular car. :).

We are working on it over the winter. .. just getting around to it after ten years. Unmarked, 1972 Fury III, B7, ex NJ State Patrol car, 440-HP.

Look for it here in the spring/summer.

73 is the crossover year. 74 up is cast unless in front of a manual trans, 72 down is forged regardless of trans. The 70-74 HP, 440-6, and RV engines in this time have the used to be want to have 6pack rods and a funny vibration dampener all of which are not worth a damn if your not restoring a museum piece.

Do you have a list number off of that Holley? I doubt it is a 750 but never say never especially when it comes to cop stuff.

Do you have a list number off of that Holley? I doubt it is a 750 but never say never especially when it comes to cop stuff.

Holley 4160, #6253.

I was "told" that was the CFM by my carb guy -- whether that was OEM spec (for cop HP cars vs non-cop HP cars?) and/or my builder did it with a specific "kit" based on info from my engine builder based on what he did to hit a '69 Magnum/Super Commando engine performance spec, i'm not sure -- so that's the extent of my knowledge.

I have done no personal investigation on this CFM thing beyond writing the check for the carb rebuild :)

Last edited:
Nope, 74+ were cast regardless of end application.
Cast has a bad rap, though. They can easily take 500 hp.
The main reason for the steel crank desirability is that they were drilled out for the manual transmission pilot bearing.
You can use a manual with a cast crank but it's a PITA.
Not entirely true. 1974 and later 400s and 440s that came from the factory with a manual transmission were supplied with forged crankshafts. Oops, I see I missed post #45 where this was already mentioned. Sorry for wasting your time.

The iron ones are seasoned heads from Ma Mopar herself.
Aluminum? Well you know where they all come from...
Please use your existing heads. You can go mild to wild with them more reliably than with any new aluminum head sold today.
Really? How many aluminum heads have you used? What is the cost to take iron heads from "mild to wild" in your experience? Just where are all aluminum heads cast? Please include Edelbrock because California may have be annexed by Mexico in the last 24 hours, but probably not.

I am the holdout on this particular car. :).

We are working on it over the winter. .. just getting around to it after ten years. Unmarked, 1972 Fury III, B7, ex NJ State Patrol car, 440-HP.

Look for it here in the spring/summer.

Look forward to seeing it.

Please use your existing heads. You can go mild to wild with them more reliably than with any new aluminum head sold today.
I have a set of 452's, I'm more interested in cam specs then anything...

I can get the casting date I forget off the top of my head I know the steel crank is May 1973 because its exactly a month before my 73 which was built june '73

Back