Alternator upgrade

Allfather6669

Reaction score
I'm looking to get am alternator with a much higher output in my 1972 Plymouth fury III because, I recently got my hands on a couple of 15 inch 600w subwoofers. I'm also going to be replacing all the stock speakers with some kickers and I have a pioneer radio mounted under the dash.

I found this alternator on summit racing and I was wondering if it's any good?
1972 PLYMOUTH FURY III Powermaster 8-47539 Powermaster Street Alternators | Summit Racing

Just be careful because these cars were built with a maximum of 72 amps back in the 70's
You may tax the wiring with 200 amps. Yes some of the 70's police/taxi/service cars did have 100 amp alternators and were wired for the higher current.
Just be careful and research before buying.

There are some alternators which are used by the ambulance manufacturers which can get close to 200amp output, just as almost every OEM alternator these days is in the 150amp area, usually a bit higher in some cases.

You'll probably need a dual-terminal battery so you can use one set of the terminals to run the sound system specifically. Might even to put some stout relays to use, too, for the sound system.

ONE thing you'll need to be aware of is "sympathetic resonances" in the car and all things attached to the car body and the body itself. When a particular frequency is emitted from the speakers, other parts of the vehicle which resonate at that frequency will start to vibrate, which can not be good for the total quality of the music. So plan on using a few sets of DynaMat (or similar) on the floorpan (interior and trunk, plus possibly some inside the doors) to help kill such resonances.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back