Another short fuel pump rod

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I must thank Detroit Matt for the great thread talking about his hard start and fuel delivery problems on his '67. I started to have some starting problems last fall. I removed the freshly rebuild carb and found one issue but unrelated to the core issue.

I then realized I wasn't getting any gas. New fuel pump and sending unit 3 years ago. I just replaced the fuel filter but it was not clogged at all. That actually made me very happy because I still have the original tank and it was only resealed.

When I removed the fuel pump rod, it was 3/8" short. I am certain this is the issue. I will be happy to have her back on the road soon.

IMG_20150416_145336859.jpg

IMG_20150416_145336859.jpg

Everybody should be measuring their rods now...

So our rods need to be 3 1/4. What is the minimum it should get to before replacing?

I thought I might be having the same problem with Jazabelle and bought a NOS Mopar push rod. I pulled the original rod, (118K miles), and it was still as good as the new one. I put it back in and have a spare NOS rod now.

I have this same problem on my 1967 Polara! Running an Electric Fuel Pump now. Fuel Rod is peened over and can't be pulled from outside of motor. We'll take care of it on the next rebuild.

Check your tank liner too Mike. Those have been known to fail around the three year mark. I'm planning to check mine this weekend as I think it is the culprit to my intermittent stalling issues. My fuel pump pushrod measured to spec.

So our rods need to be 3 1/4. What is the minimum it should get to before replacing?
I think what's they start to wear, they go rather quickly.

I have this same problem on my 1967 Polara! Running an Electric Fuel Pump now. Fuel Rod is peened over and can't be pulled from outside of motor. We'll take care of it on the next rebuild.

I find this VERY hard to believe, and sorry to say that I think your nose is growing.

Check your tank liner too Mike.

What the heck is a tank liner?

Check your tank liner too Mike. Those have been known to fail around the three year mark. I'm planning to check mine this weekend as I think it is the culprit to my intermittent stalling issues. My fuel pump pushrod measured to spec.

I did check and also changed the fuel filter, both clean. I was surprised there was nothing clogging the filter no rust very clean.

The liner is just a red sealer that is poured into the tank to keep the rust in check.

Back